It's not often I get a writer in here.
我这里难得见到作家来。
As a matter of fact you're the only writer I've had in here in twenty years, not counting Fenton.
事实上20年来,你是唯一光顾本店的作家,不算芬顿的话。
Who's he?
他是谁?
He gets out the weekly paper. Writes the whole thing himself.
他出版我们这里的周报,一个人把所有的内容全包了。
Yeah. Well... How about the haircut? OK.
是吗?嗯,现在理发吧!好的。
(Harry puts a hot towel around the man's head. Miss McCutcheon, carrying a cane chair without one leg, comes in.
(哈里用一条热毛巾包起男士的头。麦卡琴小姐走进来,拿着把缺一条腿的藤椅。
With her is Clay with something in his hand, a small boy named Greeley with a bottle of sea water, and Roxanna with an assortment of shells.)
她身后跟着克莱,手里拿着一件东西,一个名叫格里利的小男孩拿着一瓶海水,洛克莎娜拿着各种各样的贝壳。)
I've got an oyster here, Mr. Van Dusen.
范杜森先生,我找到了一只牡蛎。
Miss McCutcheon claims there's not a big pearl in it.
麦卡琴小姐愣说里面没有一颗大珍珠。
Is she willing to admit there's a little one in it? I don't know.
她乐意承认里面有颗小珍珠吗?我不知道。
Mr. Van Dusen, Clay Larrabee seems to believe there's a pearl in this oyster he happens to have found on the beach.
范杜森先生,克莱似乎深信,他在海边偶然找到的一只牡蛎里面有颗珍珠。
I didn't happen to find it. I went looking for it. You know Black Rock, Mr. Van Dusen?
我可不是偶然发现它的。我是特意去找的。范杜森先生,你知道“黑石”吧?
Well, the tide hardly ever gets low enough for a fellow to get around the ocean side of it,
潮水很少退到低得能让人到达它靠海的一边,
but a little while ago it did, so I went around there and I found this oyster.
可刚才,潮水很低,我绕到那边去了,在那儿找到了这只牡蛎。
I've been here twenty-four years, Clay,
我在此地已有24年了,克莱,
and this is the first time I've ever heard of anybody finding an oyster on our beach—at Black Rock, or anywhere else.
这可是第一次听说有人在我们这儿的海滩找到牡蛎——不管是在“黑石”还是在别的地方。