Well, I did, Mr. Van Dusen. It's shut tight, it's alive, and there's a pearl in it, worth at least three hundred dollars.
范杜森先生,可我找到了,闭得紧紧的,是活的,里面有颗至少值300美元的珍珠。
A big pearl.
一颗大珍珠。
Now, you children listen to me. It's never too soon for any of us to face the truth.
孩子们,听我说,对我们任何人来说,越快面对事实越好。
The truth is, Clay, you want money because you need money.
克莱,事实是你需要钱,因此你想得到钱。
The truth is also that there is no pearl in the oyster.
另一个事实是这只牡蛎里面没有珍珠。
How do you know? Did you look?
你怎么知道,你看了吗?
No, but neither did Clay, and in as much as only one oyster in a million has a pearl in it,
我没看,克莱也没看呀。100万只牡蛎中只有一只里面可能有珍珠,
truth favors the probability that this is not the millionth oyster...
这只牡蛎有珍珠的几率太小……
There's a big pearl in the oyster.
这只牡蛎里面肯定有珍珠。
Mr. Van Dusen, shall we open the oyster and show the children that there is no pearl in it?
范杜森先生,我们是不是打开这只牡蛎,让孩子们亲眼看到里面没有珍珠?
In a moment, Miss McCutcheon. And what's that you have?
等等吧。麦卡琴小姐,你手里拿的是什么?
A chair, as you can see.
你不是看见了?是把椅子啊。
How many legs does it have?
它有几条腿?
Three of course. I can count to three, I hope.
当然是三条,我希望还能数到三吧。
What do you want with a chair with only three legs?
你要一把只有三条腿的椅子干什么?
I'm going to bring things from the sea the same as everybody else in town.
我只是像镇上其他人那样,从海滩捡东西。
But everybody else in town doesn't bring things, from the sea—just the children, Judge Applegarth, Fenton Lockhart, and myself.
可是镇上并不是所有人都从海滩捡东西,只有孩子们、阿普尔加思评判员、芬顿·洛克哈特和我去捡。