All I can say about my mother is that she was a woman—to me a very beautiful one.
对于妈妈,我所能说的一切就是,在我眼里她是一个非常漂亮的女人。
She had a way of moving very quickly from a singing-and-laughing gladness to a silent-and-dark discontent that bothered my father.
她可以瞬间由兴高采烈变得沉默不满,而爸爸常常因此事而烦恼。
I remember hearing him say to her again and again, "Ann, what is it?"
我记得我总是听到爸爸在一遍又一遍地问她:“安,怎么了?”
Alas, the question was always useless, making my mother cry and my father leave the house.
唉!这个问题总是没有任何用处,结果总是妈妈哭起来,而爸爸离家而去。
During the long quarrel my father seemed hopelessly perplexed and outwitted by something unexpected and unwelcome,
在长时间的争吵中,爸爸看起来是那么困惑无助,他经常被突如其来的讨厌的事情搞得不知所措,
which he was determined nevertheless to control and banish.
不过他已决心要加以控制,不让此类事情发生。
My brother, Ralph, graduated from high school and took a summertime job in a vineyard.
我哥哥拉尔夫高中毕业后找到一份葡萄园的暑期工。
He rode eleven miles to the vineyard on his bicycle every morning soon after daybreak and back again a little before dark every evening.
他每天早上天一亮就骑车11英里去葡萄园,傍晚天黑前才回来。
His wages were twenty-five cents an hour, and he put in at least ten hours a day.
他的薪水是每小时25美分,他一天至少要工作10个小时。
Early in September he had saved a little more than a hundred dollars.
9月初的时候,他已经攒了100多美元了。
Early one morning he woke me up.
一天早晨,他把我弄醒。
"I want to say good-bye now," he said. "I'm going to San Francisco."
“现在我要跟你道别了,”他说,“我打算去旧金山。”
"What for?"
“去干吗?”
"I can't stay here any more."
“我不能再呆在这里了。”