When I got home it was after eleven in the morning, I was very hungry, and I wanted to sit down and eat.
当我回到家时,已经是上午11点多了。我非常饿,想要坐下来吃点儿东西。
My father was at his job at Graff's.
爸爸这时正在格拉夫商店上班,
My sister was out of the house, and my mother didn't seem to want to look at me.
妹妹在门外,妈妈的目光似乎在回避我。
She put food on the table—more than usual—, so I was pretty sure she knew something, or at any rate suspected.
她在往桌子上摆吃的——比平常摆得要多——因此我确定她已经知道了些什么,或者反正猜到了几分。
At last she said, "Who smashed the raft?" "I did."
最后她说:“谁弄破了木筏?”“我。”
"I got mad at my brother."
“那时我被哥哥气疯了。”
"Why?"
“为什么?”
"I just got mad."
“我只是被气疯了。”
"Eat your food."
“吃东西吧。”
She went into the living room, and I ate my food.
她走进客厅,我吃我的饭。
When I went into the living room she was working at the sewing machine with another of my father's suits.
当我走进客厅时,她正在缝纫机旁改爸爸的一件旧衣服。
"This one's for you," she said.
“这件是你的,”她说。
"When can I wear it?"
“我什么时候能穿上?”
"Next Sunday. It's one of your father's oldest, when he was slimmer. It'll be a good fit. Do you like it?" "Yes."
“下周日。这是你爸爸最旧的一件衣服之一,那时他还很瘦。你穿起来会很合身,喜欢吗?”“喜欢。”
She put the work aside and tried to smile, and then did, a little.
她把衣服放到了一边,努力地笑了笑,结果真挤出一点儿笑容。
"She doesn't know what's happened," I thought.
“她不知道发生了什么事情,”我想,
And then I thought, "Maybe she does, and this is the way she is."
然后我转念一想,“也许她知道了,这只是她的一贯风格罢了。”
"Your brother's bike is in the garage," she said. "Where's he?"
“你哥哥的自行车在车棚里,”她说,“他去哪儿了?”
"On his way to San Francisco."
“他在去旧金山的路上。”