I went back to the university, but not by the front entrance.
我又回到了大学,但不是被正规录取,
I slipped in by a side door, the School of General Studies, which wasn't so particular about whom they let in.
而是走了边门,进了综合教育学院,这所学院录取学生并不那么挑剔。
I took courses in the evening and I worked at writing...
我晚上上课,并且致力于写作……
I relived the war almost every night in my dreams.
几乎每天晚上我都要在梦里重温那场战争。
This continued for years.
这种状态持续了若干年。
After Miriam and I were married, she woke one night to sounds that were coming from different parts of the room:
我和米丽娅姆结婚后的一天夜里,她被来自室内各个角落的声音吵醒:
sounds of battle, shelling and gunfire.
战斗的声音,枪炮声。
They were coming from me!
这些声音都是从我嘴里发出的!
I dreamed of encounters with the Germans that I never had.
我在梦里遭遇了我从战斗过的德国军队。
But I had anticipated such meetings as I walked alone among trees or over fields, carrying a message from G Company to Battalion.
不过,当年我从连部往营里送信而单独走在树林里或穿过田野时,我曾预料过这种遭遇。
Or I dreamed about horrors...
我有时梦见恐怖的事物……
the field in Holland I had to walk through night after night.
梦见荷兰的那片我一夜接一夜地走过的田野,
It was strewn with the dead bodies of German infantry and American paratroopers who had shot each other at close range.
那里到处都是德国步兵和美国伞兵近距离射击后留下的尸体。