"On the contrary," said Mr Crowther, "nothing could be more natural."
“正好相反,”克劳瑟先生说,“没有比这更正常的事了。”
Mr Harraby-Ribston was somewhat taken aback.
哈利比-里伯斯顿先生有点惊讶:“正常?
"Natural? You think it natural? I must say, you surprise me."
你认为这很正常?我不得不说,你让我吃惊。”
"You seem to me," said Mr Crowther, "a man much given to surprise."
“在我看来,”克劳瑟先生说,“你是一个很爱吃惊的人。”
"While you, I take it," Mr Harraby-Ribston snapped back, "pride yourself on being surprised by nothing."
“而你呢?在我看来,”哈利比-里伯斯顿先生反驳道,“是以不对任何事情感到惊讶而自豪的人。”
"Not at all!" replied Mr Crowther.
“根本不是,”克罗德先生回答说,
"The point is, I think that we are surprised by different things.
“问题在于我认为我们会因为不同的事物而感到惊讶。
You tell me you've been married for twenty-one years and then expect me to be surprised when you add that you're now leaving your wife.
你告诉我你已经结婚21年了,在你又说到你正在离开你的妻子时你期望我能够感到惊讶。
But, my dear sir, I find nothing surprising about that.
但是,亲爱的先生,对于这种事情我一点也不感到惊讶,
What does surprise me is that you've been so long in doing so."
而真正使我吃惊的是,你结婚这么久之后才决定离开妻子。”