3.4减词 (Omission)
减词是指将原文中需要而译文中又不需要的词语省去。
从语法角度进行减省
冠词
连词
介词
代词
As a frequent moviegoer, I am keeping abreast of the latest development of
我是电影院里的常客,通晓好莱坞电影最新动态。
We can not discover any material in an element but itself.
在一个元素里,除元素本身外,不可能再发现其他物质。
I framed the words in my mind, “Pardon me, but have I done something to offend you?”
我心里在嘀咕:“对不起,我做了什么事冒犯了您?”
As it is late, let us go to bed.不早了,睡吧
代词省略——抽象代词、泛指代词
1) 有些做宾语的代词
I am going to have it. 我想去吃
2) 泛指的英语人称代词做主语
3) 指代抽象名词的代词
Ford’s basic wage of $
4) 物主代词
5) 形式主语和形式宾语it
从修饰角度进行减省
The hardest part of any big project is to begin.
任何一个大项目最艰难的是起步。
There are plenty of opportunities to attend community events and volunteer your services.
参与社区活动以及提供志愿服务的机会多得很。
The problem of alternative fuels of vehicle is one problem we shall approach.
车辆的代用燃料是我们将要着手处理的一个问题。
To learn is not an easy matter and to apply what one has learned is even harder.
学习不容易,应用更不容易。
In mid-1977, world sea-going tonnage amounted to 338.5 million grt which reflects a rise of 5.8% in grt over mid-1976, compared with a corresponding increase of 9% from mid-1975 to mid-1976.
1977年年中,世界远洋船吨位共达 3.385 亿注册总吨,比 1976 年年中注册总吨增加了 5.8% ,而 1976 年年中比 1975 年年中注册总吨增加了 9% 。