I first met her at the university 8 years ago.
8年前的大学时代,我遇到了她。
My major was anthropology and her was history.
我得专业是人类学,她的专业是历史。
We fell in love and wed, but three months later, she announced her intention to annul the marriage.
我们相恋结婚,但是婚后三个月,她宣布想取消这场婚姻。
She said that I never seemed interested in talking about history and that my apathy annoyed her.
她说我对谈论历史毫无兴趣可言,而我的冷漠令她烦恼。
She moved away and I never anticipated seeing her again.
她搬走了,我也没指望能再见到她。
Then, I ran into her last year while attending an annual convention at the University.
然后,去年我在参加学校年会时邂逅了她。
She had passed to me an anonymous note that simply said,"look behind you."
她让人递给我一张匿名纸条,上面就写了一句:“往后看。”
I had no idea it would be her.
我压根没想到是她。
Now, she teaches an American History class at the University.
现在,她在这所大学里教美国历史。
She stimulates interest in history by taking her students to historic sites and having them experience antiquity n person.
她实属历史教授的另类。她带领学生参观历史古迹,让学生亲自感受什么是古老,从而激发他们对历史的兴趣。
It thrills them to annotate their textbooks with first-hand information.
学生们兴奋于有第一手资料注解他们的课本。
Her anomalous teaching method draws a large number of students.
她那不同寻常的教学方式吸引了大批学生。
Last month, I joined her class for a trip to a house that antedated the American Civil War.
上个月,我参加了他们班组织的一次参观美国内战前一所老房子的活动。
We were fascinated by the antiquated furniture and the post-war antiques.
我们被古色古香的家具和各式战后古董所吸引。
In one room, I found a rusty bronze music box that plays the National anthem.
我在房间里发现一个沾满铜锈但是能唱国歌的音乐盒。
In the bedroom, I found a hand-sewn book containing an anthology of civil war poems.
在卧室里,我找到了一本用手工针线装订成册的内战诗集。
In the bathroom, I discovered a pair of hand-blown glass bottles used for storing antibiotic pills and ntiseptic.
在浴室里,我发现了一对装抗生素片和防腐剂的自制玻璃瓶。
Perhaps the most interesting piece was an old box-styled camera, one of the first to use an aperture.
也许最有趣的东西是一个古老的盒式相机,这也是最早使用光圈相机之一。
It still worked.
它还能拍照片呢!
I never realized how interesting History could be.
我从前从未意识到历史会如此有趣。
For that, I must thank my former wife, or should I say, my present wife.
这一点,我要感谢我的前妻,或者说我的现任妻子。
They are now one and the same!
她们是同一人!