When they knocked on the door of the gamekeeper's hut an hour later, they were surprised to see that all the curtains were closed.
一小时后,他们敲响了狩猎场看守的小屋门。他们吃惊地发现,所有的窗帘都被拉得严严实实。
Hagrid called "Who is it?" before he let them in, and then shut the door quickly behind them.
海格先是喊了一句“谁呀?”才让他们进屋,接着又赶紧回身把门关上了。
It was stifling hot inside. Even though it was such a warm day, there was a blazing fire in the grate.
小屋里热得令人窒息。尽管是这样一个温暖的晴天,壁炉里还燃着熊熊的旺火。
Hagrid made them tea and offered them stoat sandwiches, which they refused.
海格给他们沏了茶,还端来了白鼬三明治,他们婉言谢绝了。
So — yeh wanted to ask me somethin'?
“这么说——你们有话要问我?”
Yes, said Harry. There was no point beating around the bush.
“是的。”哈利说。没有必要拐弯抹角。
We were wondering if you could tell us what's guarding the Sorcerer's Stone apart from Fluffy.
“我们不知道你能不能告诉我们,除了路威以外,守护魔法石的还有什么机关?”
Hagrid frowned at him.
海格朝他们皱起了眉头。
Of course I can't, he said. Number one, I don' know meself. Number two, yeh know too much already, so I wouldn' tell yeh if I could.
“我当然不能说。”他说,“第一,我自己也不知道。第二,你们已经知道得太多了,所以我即使知道也不会告诉你们。
That Stone's here fer a good reason.
那块石头在这里是很有道理的。
It Was almost stolen outta Gringotts — I s'ppose yeh've worked that out an' all? Beats me how yeh even know abou' Fluffy.
它在古灵阁差点被人偷走——我猜你们把这些也弄得一清二楚了吧?真不明白你们怎么连路威的事都知道。”
Oh, come on, Hagrid, you might not want to tell us, but you do know,
“哦,海格,你大概是不想告诉我们吧,你肯定知道的。
you know everything that goes on round here, said Hermione in a warm, flattering voice.
这里发生的事情,有哪一件能逃过你的眼睛呢。”赫敏用一种甜甜的、奉承的口气说。
Hagrid's beard twitched and they could tell he was smiling.
海格的胡子抖动起来,他们看出他在笑呢。
We only wondered who had done the guarding, really. Hermione went on.
“实际上,我们只想知道是谁设计了那些机关。”赫敏继续说道,
We wondered who Dumbledore had trusted enough to help him, apart from you.
“我们想知道,除了你以外,邓布利多还相信谁能够帮助他呢。”