Where is father now?’asked Tess suddenly.
“现在爸爸在哪儿?”苔丝突然问道。
Her mother did not answer directly.‘He saw the doctor today, you know.It's fat round the heart,he says.
母亲没有直接回答:“你知道他今天去看医生了。说病因是心脏周围堆了脂肪。
That's the cause of his illness. He might last ten years… might last ten months or days.’
也许他能再活十年……再活十个月或者十天。”
Tess looked anxious.Her father, suddenly a great man, to die so soon!
苔丝愁容满面。她的父亲,一个突然间变得如此伟大的人物,会这么快就死去!
‘But where is father?’she asked firmly.
“但爸爸在哪儿啊?”她加重语气问道。
‘Now don't you get angry!’said Mrs Durbeyfield.
“嗯,你可别生气,”德北夫人说,
‘The poor man was feeling so weak after the news that he went to Rolliver's.
“这可怜的人儿在听说了那则特大消息后就浑身酥软啦,他只好去了罗里弗酒店。
He needs to build up his strength to deliver the beehives tomorrow,remember.’
他需要积蓄点儿力气,要知道,明早他还得赶运那些蜂箱呢。”
‘Oh my God!’cried Tess.‘He went to a public house!And you agreed to it, mother!’
“哦,天哪!”苔丝叫了起来,“他上酒店了!而你却同意了,妈!”
‘No,I didn't,’said Mrs Durbeyfield crossly.‘I've been waiting for you to look after the children while I fetch him.’
“不,我没有同意。”德北夫人生气地说。“我一直在等着你回来照看孩子们,这样我就可以去接他了。”