I'm glad we moved to the country when you retired, dear.
真高兴在你退休后我们搬到了乡村来居住,亲爱的。
Yes. Much more peaceful.
是啊,这里安静多了。
If we'd still been in London, we'd probably have been bombed out by now.
如果我们还在伦敦生活的话,很有可能遭到轰炸。
Yes. Unless we'd been evacuated.
是啊。至少也得被疏散。
Oh, that was only children. And women too, of course.
噢,只有儿童才会被疏散,当然,还有妇女。
I'd have been requisitioned for essential war work.
我可能会被征用去制造军需品。
But you're far too old.
但是你已经太老了啊。
You're retired.
你都退休了。
Yes, but all age groups are pressed into emergency service
是这样,但是所有年龄段的人在紧急情况下都必须奋起
during times of national emergency, dear.
在国家遭遇危机时,亲爱的。
I'd have been an air-raid warden.
我曾担任过小区防空袭的管理员,
Or a stretcher bearer for the Red Cross...
还有红十字会的担架工..
and St John's Ambulance Brigade, or a fireman in the docks. ..
加入圣约翰急救队,以及码头消防员。
Jerry up above, fire bombs raining down.
德国兵开着飞机在上方盘旋,燃烧弹像雨一样密集落下。
Up the turntable ladder.
顺着圆形楼梯上去。
Carrying women to safety.
把妇女们护送到安全区。
Trust you to think of that, James.
我相信你说的那些,James。
I wish we had neighbours.
我真希望我们有邻居啊。
I'd like to ask someone what's going on.
就可以问问他们,事情发展得怎么样了。
Well, I warned you, dear.
哦,我得警告你,亲爱的。
"This cottage is a bit isolated," I said.
“这幢小屋有点像是被隔离的,”我说过。