The Big Bang Theory,《生活大爆炸》
A:You know, I'd love to hear more about how you intend to add neutrinos. Could we get a cup of coffee sometime?
甲:我很想听你讲讲如何加入微中子的。啥时候去喝杯咖啡吧?
B:I don't drink coffee.
乙:我从不喝咖啡。
A:I do. I love me a cup of Joe.
甲:我喝,爱我,就请我喝一杯咖啡。
B:Well, it doesn't have to be coffee. How about dinner?
乙:那,不一定非要喝咖啡。一起吃晚餐如何?
A:I do eat dinner.
甲:晚饭当然要吃。
B:Great. I know a terrific little Italian place.
乙:很好。我知道有家意大利餐斤,超棒。
A:I never eat in strange restaurants. One runs the risk of non-standard cutlery. Excuse me?
甲:我从不去陌生的餐厅吃饭。指不定就用那些不合格的餐具了。什么?
B:Sheldon lives in fear of the three-tined fork.
乙:谢尔顿惧怕三尖叉子。
A:Three tines is not a fork. Three tines is a trident. Forks are for eating, tridents are for ruling the seven seas.
甲:三尖的根本不能叫叉子,那叫三叉戟。叉是用来吃东西的,而三叉戟是用来治理 七大洋的(希腊神话中海神的兵器就是三叉戟)。