Scene 1
场景1
Mr. Slade: Get out of here, Charlie.
斯莱德:出去,查理!
Chartie: I thought we had a deal.
查理:我认为我们说好了的。
Mr. Slade: I welched. I'm a welcher. Didn't I tell you?
斯莱德:我反悔了。我爱反悔,没告诉过你吗?
Charlie: No, what you told me was that you gave me all the bullets.
查理:没有,你说你把所有的子弹都给我了。
Mr. Slade: I lied.
斯莱德:骗你的。
Chartie: Yeah, well, you could have fooled me.
查理:你是把我骗住了。
Mr. Slade: And I did. Charlie, how you ever gonna survive in this world without me?
斯莱德:可不是吗,没有我,你能生存下去吗?
Charlie: Why don't you just give me the gun, all right? What... What are you doing?
查理:把枪给我,好吗?你,你要干什么?
Mr. Slade: I'm gonna shoot you too. Your life's finished anyway. Your friend George's gonna sing like a canary. And so are you. Andonce you've sung, Charlie, my boy, you're gonna take your place on that long, gray line of American manhood. And you will be through.
斯莱德:一枪毙了你,反正你完蛋了。你那个朋友乔治见风使舵,你也一样。孩子,一旦你去告密,查理,我的孩子,你就和其他人一样,生活变得灰暗,没有自己的原则。你就彻底完蛋了。
Charlie: I'd like to disagree with you, Colonel.
查理:中校,我不同意你的看法。
Mr. Slade: You're in no position to disagree with me, boy. I got a loaded 45 here. You got pimples. I'm gonna kill ya, Charlie, because I can't bear the thought of you sellin' out!
斯莱德:你现在没有条件反对。我手里拿着枪,四五口径,装满子弹;而你,只有青春痘,我要把你杀了。看你出卖原则,我受不了。
Charlie: Put the gun down, all right, Colonel?
查理:把枪放下,好吗,中校?
Mr. Slade: What? You givin' me an ultimatum?
斯莱德:什么?这是你给我下的最后通牒吗?
Charlie: No, I'm ...
查理:不,我是…
Mr. Slade: I give the ultimatums!
斯莱德:最后通牒由我来下。
Charlie: I'm sorry. All right? I'm sorry.
查理:对不起,我道歉。
Mr. Slade: It's all right. Charlie. You break my heart, son. All my life I stood up to everyone and everything because it made me feel important. You do it 'cause you mean it. You got integrity, Chartie. I don't know whether to shoot you or adopt you.
斯莱德:没关系。孩子,你伤了我的心。我这一生,反抗任何人。任何事。只有这样,我才觉得自己重要。而你却是为了维护自己的原则而反抗。你很正直,我真不知道该杀了你,还是接受你。