My new book The Hidden Reality takes on a grand question: Is our universe the only universe? You see, there's a growing belief among scientists like me that ours may only be one among many universes populating a gigantic cosmos. In The Hidden Reality, I explore this possibility without presuming any knowledge of mathematics or physics on the part of the reader.
我的新书《隐藏的真相》讨论了一个很大的问题 我们的宇宙是唯一的吗 越来越多像我这样的科学家相信 我们也许只是茫茫空间里众多宇宙中的其中一个 在《隐藏的真相》中 我在不涉及任何数学和物理知识的情况下向读者阐释了这一可能
Hysterical.
可笑至极
I'm glad you talked me into this. We work so hard, sometimes, it's nice to goof off and do something silly.
很高兴你说服我来这里 咱们平时太辛苦了 有时候偷个闲干点儿蠢事儿也挺好的
Agreed.
没错
Wait till you hear how he dumbs down Werner Heisenberg for the crowd. You may actually believe you're in a comedy club.
你等着听他跟大家胡扯沃纳·海森堡吧 你都会觉得自己是在喜剧俱乐部
You can think about Heisenberg's "uncertainty principle" much like the special order menu that you find in certain Chinese restaurants, where you have dishes in column A and other dishes in column B, and if you order the first dish in column A, you can't order the corresponding dish in column B. That's sort of like the "uncertainly principle."
你可以觉得海森堡的“不确定性原理”就像是在某些中国餐馆里的每日特供菜单 你会发现有些菜在A栏里 有些菜在B栏里 如果你点了A栏里的第一道菜 你就不能点B栏里的第一道菜了 这就有点像"不确定性原理"
Ba-dum-bump. Say, I heard an interesting tidbit about Howard and Bernadette.
当里个当 说起来 我听说了霍华德和伯纳黛特的一件趣事儿
Really, Amy? Gossip? I'm disappointed in you.
你开玩笑吧 艾米 跟我聊八卦 我对你失望了
No, now. Evolutionary biologist Robin Dunbar has identified gossip as an aid to social bonding in large groups.
别急啊 进化生物学家罗宾·邓巴把八卦定义为一种有助于在大群体内维系感情的手段
Forgive my language, but "poppycock".
恕我直言 全是扯淡
What if he's right? And by not participating in gossip, society breaks down into small feral bands of tattooed motorcycle riders fighting to the death over the last few cans of tuna fish.
万一不是呢 如果没有八卦 社会就会分裂成为一个个纹身摩托车手组成的野蛮小帮派 为了最后几罐金枪鱼罐头打得死去活来
Fine. In the parlance of the urban music scene, "what's the 4-1-1"?
好吧 用城市音乐的术语来说 “你想跟我说啥”
Bernadette is thinking about breaking up with Howard.
伯纳黛特想和霍华德分手
I believe our nation's tuna cans are safe.
我觉得咱国家的金枪鱼罐头还是安全的
Excuse me. Dr. Greene, question?
抱歉等下聊 格林博士 我能提问吗
Yes?
请讲
You've dedicated your life's work to educating the general populace about complex scientific ideas.
您一直致力于向公众宣传灌输一些复杂的科学理念对
Yes, in part.
差不多
Have you ever considered trying to do something useful? Perhaps, reading to the elderly?
您有没有考虑过干点儿更有意义的事儿呢 比如 给老人念书
Excuse me?
你说什么
Yeah, but not your books; something they might enjoy. I kid, of course. Big fan.
嗯 不过别念你的书 念点儿他们喜欢的 当然咯 我开玩笑啦 支持你哦
Nice shot.
射得好
Thank you. My father taught me archery as a child. It's odd how the activity brings back the smell of Kmart bourbon.
多谢 我父亲从小就在训练我射箭了 真没想到这项运动居然能唤起印象中凯马特波旁酒的醇香(他父亲酗酒)
Perfect.
漂亮
I know. What an elf I would have made.
我知道 我肯定能当个出色的精灵
What do you think you're doing?
你觉得你在干嘛呢
Shooting at a target?
冲着靶子射箭啊
With what? Arrow.
拿什么射 箭啊
Really? I didn't see you draw one from your quiver.
你开玩笑吧 我都没看见你从箭筒里取箭
I'm not going to do that, Sheldon.
我不会这么傻的 谢尔顿
Leonard, the people at Nintendo can only go so far in helping us recreate an actual athletic experience. We have to do our part, too.
莱纳德 任天堂的人在重现真实的竞技体验这方面只能做到这份儿上了 剩下的得靠我们自己
That was uncalled for, but... I'll play along. Ow.
虽然比较出乎意料 但是 我还是配合一下吧 痛
I had an unusual experience with Amy last night.
我昨晚和艾米有一次非凡的体验
Really? How could you tell?
真的吗 你怎么感觉出来的
She was attempting to engage me in gossip.
她想和我聊八卦
Mm. You don't say.
你肯定不干
Yes. I think prolonged exposure to Penny has turned her into a bit of a Gabby Gertie.
对 我觉得跟佩妮混时间长了 她也变得有点儿女孩子气了
So, what's the gossip?
什么八卦啊
Oh, please, I was just pointing it out. I have no desire to engage in the activity.
拜托 我都说了 我对这种东西完全没兴趣
Fine, don't tell me.
好吧 那就别跟我说了
All right, get this. Bernadette is thinking about breaking up with Howard.
好吧 听着 伯纳黛特想和霍华德分手
That's too bad. I wonder what happened.
真糟糕 出什么事儿了啊
Mm, it's hard to say. I can only speculate based on the data I collected watching my parents' marriage implode. In that case, the woman dives into religion, while the man dives into a bottle-blonde bartender who tries to buy my love with action figures.
不好说 我只能推测一下 根据我观察我父母的婚姻分崩离析所得到的数据 在我们家 我妈一头扎进了宗教的海洋 而我爸则一头扎进了金发女酒保的怀抱 那女人还想用超级英雄的玩具收买我呢
Oop! Out of arrows.
啊哦 没箭了
Boy, you sure get your money's worth out of these games.
天啊 你这游戏买的真是太值了
Priya, can I come in?
普丽娅 我能进来吗
Sure.
进吧
Oh, God.
天啊
What?
怎么了
It's okay. You didn't know. I'll take care of it.
没事 你不知道罢了 我来处理吧
What-what did I do?
我 我做错什么了
Sheldon doesn't allow flossing that close to the mirror.
谢尔顿禁止在离镜子这么近的地方用牙线
You're kidding.
你开玩笑吧
It's a splatter thing. There's a little piece of tape on the floor you're supposed to stand behind.
会溅上去的地板上贴了一小段胶带 你得站在胶带后面
That's madness.
太雷人了
I know. Just do it. There's a big inspection coming up, and I don't want to lose my TV privileges.
我知道 照做吧 待会儿会有大检查 我可不想失去看电视的特权
You really need to let me take a look at that roommate agreement, one of these days.
你迟早得让我看一眼那个室友协议
Mm, I don't know. I get a lawyer, he gets a lawyer... It's just easier to stand behind the tape.
有这必要吗 我俩各自请律师对簿公堂吗 还是老老实实站黄线后算了
Oh, by the way, a fellow at work said I could use his Dodger tickets this weekend. Does that sound like fun?
对了 我一个同事说 要给我周末道奇队比赛的门票 应该很好玩吧
Yeah! Dodgers are baseball, right?
那是 道奇是棒球队 对吧
You'll need to explain the game to me.
你到时候得给我解释一下比赛规则
Mm, it's complicated. But as I remember it, the essentials are "get chosen last, get hit by the ball, cry, go home".
规则很复杂的 不过在我看来 棒球的精髓就是最后才被选中 被球打 痛哭 回家
Well, regardless, I've got four tickets. And I was thinking we can bring Bernadette and Howard.
不管怎么说都好 我有四张票呢 叫上伯纳黛特和霍华德一起去好吗
She's really interesting, and I bet I can get used to him.
伯纳黛特真的很有意思 我想我早晚也能适应霍华德的存在
Well, it might not be a great idea to invite those two.
叫他俩去可能不太好
Why not?
为什么
Don't tell anybody I told you, but I heard she might be breaking up with him.
别跟别人说是我说的 不过据说伯纳黛特可能要跟霍华德分手
Oh...too bad... Although I do know one person for whom that's good news.
太可惜了 不过我倒认识一个会因此高兴的人
Really? Who?
真的吗 谁呀
My brother. He's got a big crush on Bernadette.
我哥 他超喜欢伯纳黛特
What? You're kidding.
什么 你开玩笑吧
No. I found poems he wrote about her. Very disturbing. "Oh, Bernadette, please play my clarinet" .
没有 我看到过他给她写的诗 超诡异的 "噢 伯纳黛特 吹响我的单簧管吧"
Wow, that's hard to believe.
这太难以置信了
Yes. And for years, everyone in my family was convinced that he was the clarinet enthusiast. What's that piece of tape?
就是说呀 这么多年来 我家所有人都坚信他有同性恋倾向呢 这条黄线又是干嘛的
Oh, that one doesn't apply to you. You sit.
你用不着担心这个 反正你坐着上厕所
Hey. Hey. How's it going?
嗨 嗨 近来好吗
Not too bad. Did you hear about Howard and Bernadette?
还不错 你听说伯纳黛特和霍华德的事了吗
'Course I heard about it. How did you hear about it?
当然了 你是怎么知道的
I heard about it from Sheldon. He got it from Amy.
我是听谢尔顿说的 他是听艾米说的
Oh, damn it. I told Amy that in the strictest confidence.Boy, some people are such blabbermouths. Well, whatever. I'm sure Bernadette can do better.
该死 我还叫艾米绝对不能告诉别人呢 有些人还真是大嘴巴 随便啦 我相信伯纳黛特肯定能找到更好的
Do you think a sexually ambivalent Indian astrophysicist with selective mutism and alcohol issues is better than a hundred-pound Jewish guy who lives with his mom?
你觉得一个有选择性缄默症 酗酒问题而且性取向不稳定的印度天体物理学家比体重一百磅 跟老妈住的犹太人强吗
You are kidding. Raj likes Bernadette?
你开玩笑吧 拉杰喜欢伯纳黛特吗
I didn't say Raj. Who said Raj?
我可没说是拉杰 谁说是拉杰了
Okay, give. How do you know? Did he tell you?
好了 快说 你怎么知道的 他自己说的吗
No. Well, then who? I can't say...
不是 那是谁说的 我不能说
Priya told you. What a little gossip. You know, not an attractive quality in a woman, Leonard. Not judging, just my opinion.
普丽娅告诉你的 真是个小八婆 一个女人这么八婆可不好 莱纳德 我不是说她坏话 只是个人看法而已
Well, The point is, if this got out, it would destroy Howard and Raj's friendship.
问题是 要是这件事传开了 可能会影响霍华德和拉杰的友谊
You don't have to worry. Unlike Amy and Priya, I know how to keep a secret.
你用不着担心 我又不像艾米和普丽娅 我嘴可严呢
You're the one who told Amy in the first place.
这件事一开始就是你告诉艾米的
In confidence.
我有叫她保密呀
Hello, Mummy. Hello, Daddy. How are you?
你好 妈妈 你好 爸爸 你们好吗
We're very rich in a very poor country. So, all in all, can't complain.
我们是穷国里的富人 所以 总的来说 没啥好抱怨的
So, Priya, how are enjoying staying with your brother?
普丽娅 你在你哥家住的还好吗
It's fine. But if I'm going to stay in Los Angeles much longer, I think I should get my own place.
还不错 但是如果我要继续留在洛杉矶的话 我想我应该找个地方自己搬出去住
Why? Is Rajesh not making you feel comfortable? Rajesh, why aren't you making your sister comfortable?
为什么 拉杰没给你提供舒适的环境吗 拉杰 你为什么不给你妹妹提供舒适的环境
I am making her comfortable. Besides, she's not sleeping here half the time anyw...
我有啊 再说 反正她一半时间都不在我这睡
What? Where are you sleeping, Priya?
什么 那你去哪睡 普丽娅
It's a figure of speech, Daddy. It means I-I work late.
这只是修辞说法而已 爸 意思是说我工作到很晚
Please tell me you're not dating an American. I knew this would happen. Rajesh, are you letting your sister date that little Howard boy?
别说你交了个美国男朋友 我就知道会这样 拉杰 你是不是让你妹跟那个叫霍华德的小子交往了
Now, hold on. If she is dating an American, that's not a bad way to go.He's Jewish. Those chaps are very successful, and they don't drink a lot.
等会 如果她真交了个美国男朋友的话 找霍华德也不错呀 他是犹太人 犹太人都很成功的 而且他们不怎么喝酒
It-It doesn't matter. Howard has a girlfriend.
这都不重要啦 霍华德有女朋友的
For now.
那只是目前而已
What does that mean?
这是什么意思
I'll tell you later.
晚点再告诉你
Is something going on with him and Bernadette?
他跟伯纳黛特之间出问题了吗
Who's Bernadette? Doesn't sound Jewish.
伯纳黛特是谁 听起来不像是犹太人
You can't tell by that. Winona Ryder is Jewish.
听名字哪听得出来 威诺纳·赖德(美国女演员)也是犹太人啊
Okay, we're getting off the subject. Rajesh, I want you to try harder to make your sister feel welcome.
好吧 这个话题先放一放 拉杰 你要更努力地让你妹妹觉得宾至如归
Thank you, Daddy.
谢谢爸爸
Don't worry. Everything I have, I share with her. Including my friend Leon...
别担心 只要是我的东西 我都会跟她分享的 包括我朋友莱...
Good night, Mummy. Good night, Daddy.
晚安妈妈 晚安爸爸
Oh, my God, I think you broke my toe!
天啊 我脚趾都被你踩断了
You should have kept your mouth shut.
谁叫你多嘴的 好吧
Fair enough. Now, what's up with Clarinet...? Bernadette!
是我的错 给我说说单簧管 不对 是伯纳黛特的事吧
I've been thinking about Dr. Greene's efforts to make science palatable for the masses.
我一直在想格林博士致力于把科学变得平民化的事
Emm? What about it?
是吗 想出什么来了
That's all. I've just been thinking about it. Now, I'm thinking about fractal equations. Now I'm thinking about the origin of the phrase "train of thought." Now I'm thinking about trains.
没什么 我就想了下 现在 我在想分形方程 现在我又在想“思路”这词的词源 现在我在想火车
Are you listening to this guy?
你在听他说话吗
Hmm? Oh, I'm sorry. I was somewhere else.
抱歉 我在想别的
Lucky bastard.
你个幸运的混蛋
Now I'm thinking about Jell-O.
现在我在想果冻
So what's up?
你怎么了
It's a Bernadette thing.
是关于伯纳黛特的事
Oh, no. I hope everything's okay.
不是吧 希望一切都好
Whatever it is, we're here for you. You can tell us anything.
不管怎样 我们都挺你的 你尽管畅所欲言
Yeah. Good or devastating.
对 不管是好事或悲剧