Las Casas Dissuading From Battle. By E. B. Sheridan
拉斯·卡萨斯劝人们免战。E·B·谢里丹
Is then the dreadful measure of your cruelty not yet complete?
对你的残忍程度那可怕的衡量还没有完吗?
Battle! against whom?
去战斗吧!跟谁作战呢?
Against a king, in whose mild bosom your atrocious injuries, even yet, have not excited hate; but who, insulted or victorious, still sues for peace.
跟国王啊,你那残忍的刑讯还没有激起仇恨,可是那些受到伤害或者侥幸逃脱的人们,还在祈求安宁。
Against a people, who never wronged the living being their Creator formed;
跟自从造物主给予生命,从未犯过过错的人吗?
a people, who received you as cherished guests, with eager hospitality and confiding kindness.
还是跟非常热情地把你当成贵客招待,让你马上就有久逢知己之感的人呢?
Generously and freely did they share with you their comforts, their treasures, and their homes; you repaid them by fraud, oppression, and dishonor.
他们慷慨和随便与你分享令他们倍感安慰的事情、他们的财富和他们的家庭,而你则拿欺诈、压制和侮辱来回报他们。
Pizarro, hear me! Hear me, chieftains! And thou, All-powerful!
皮萨罗,你听我说!听我说,酋长!你无所不能!
whose thunder can shiver into sand the adamantine rock, whose lightnings can pierce the core of the riven and quaking earth,
谁的雷声能令沙子躲进金刚石里,谁的闪电能钻进裂开和摇晃的大地,直抵地心?
oh let thy power give effect to thy servant's words, as thy Spirit gives courage to his will!
在你的精神赋予他的意志以勇气时,让你无所不在的力量来影响你奴仆们的话语吧!
Do not, I implore you, chieftains,—do not, I implore you, renew the foul barbarities your insatiate avarice has inflicted on this wretched, unoffending race.
我求你了,不要啊,酋长——千万不要,我求你,改掉你令人不快的野蛮习气,你永不知足的贪婪强加给这个讨厌但无害的种族的坏习气。
But hush, my sighs! fall not, ye drops of useless sorrow! heart-breaking anguish, choke not my utterance.
且慢,我的天!不要流露出无益的悲哀!令人心碎的极度痛苦不会令我的言语窒息。