This was literally true. The last part of it we ourselves were seeing while he spoke,
这倒是真的。在他说话时我们亲眼看到这幢房子最后一部分落成了,
and a friend at our elbow had seen the Wagon Creek crisis.
我们眼皮底下的一位朋友曾见过车马溪危机。
"Waiting for that round table for you," said the landlord;
“你们在那张圆桌就餐,”店主说道;
"I'll bring the chairs out here's fast's they quit 'em. That's the only way to get the table."
“他们一吃完就给你们添椅子。这是占座的唯一方法。”
So, watching his chances, as fast as a seat was vacated,
于是,我们注意看他的话是否灵验,座位一空出来,
he sprang into the room, seized the chair and brought it out to us;
他就连忙跑进里面,搬出几张椅子给我们用;
and we sat there in our "reserved seats," biding the time when there should be room enough vacant at the table for us to take our places.
我们坐在“预留的座位”上,打赌是否有足够的空桌能容下我们。
What an indescribable scene it was! The strange-looking wall of propped doors which we had seen,
这一场景简直难以形容!我们见到的那面用门支撑的样子怪怪的墙是临时搭起来的,
was the impromptu wall separating the bedrooms from the dining-room.
卧室和起居室之间用墙来分隔。
Bedrooms? Yes, five of them; that is, five bedsteads in a row,
卧室?不错,有五间卧室。一排有五个床架,
with just space enough between them to hang up a sheet,
这样就有足够的空间来挂帘子,
and with just room enough between them and the propped doors
正好有足够的房间来放这些床,
for a moderate-sized person to stand upright if he faced either the doors or the bed.
支撑起来的门可以容中等身材的人站直,尽管他要么面向门,要么冲着床。
Chairs? Oh, no! What do you want of a chair in a bedroom which has a bed in it?
椅子?啊,没地方放了,你还希望放了床的卧室里放把椅子?
Washstands? One tin basin out in the unfinished room. Towels? Uncertain.
洗脸架?在未完工的房间里有一个铁盆。手巾?不好说有没有。