She looked worriedly at her hands,and her new dress.
她不大放心地看了看自己的手和新衣服。
'You needn't have touched me!'he said,pulling away his hand.
“你不必来碰我!”他说着,把手抽了回来。
'I like being dirty,and I'm going to be dirty!'
“我喜欢脏,我以后还是脏!”
As he ran miserably out of the room,Hindley and his wife laughed loudly,
当他窘迫地跑出房间时,亨德雷和他妻子大笑起来,
delighted that their plan to separate the two young people seemed to be succeeding.
看到拆开这两个年轻人的计划似乎就要得逞,他们很开心。
The next day was Christmas Day.
第二天是圣诞节。
Edgar and Isabella Linton had been invited to lunch,
已经邀请了艾加和伊莎贝拉·林顿来吃午饭,
and their mother had agreed,on condition that her darlings were kept carefully apart from'that wicked boy'.
他们的母亲答应了,条件是要保证她的宝贝儿要离那个“坏小子”远远的。
I felt sorry for poor Heathcliff,and while the Earnshaws were at church, I helped him wash and dress in clean clothes.
我为可怜的希斯克利夫感到难过,趁欧肖一家去教堂的功夫,我帮他洗换了干净衣裳。
'You're too proud,'I scolded him as I brushed his black hair.
“你太要强了,”替他梳那头黑发时我埋怨他。
'You should think how sad Catherine is when you can't be together.
“你应该想想你们不能在一块儿凯瑟琳该多难过啊。
And don't be jealous of Edgar Linton!'
别去嫉妒艾加·林顿!”
'I wish I had blue eyes and fair hair like him!I wish I behaved well,and was going to inherit a fortune!'
“我多想自己像他那样长着蓝蓝的眼睛,浅色的头发!我但愿自己能举止得体,将来还可以继承一大笔财产!”
'He has none of your intelligence or character!And if you have a good heart,you'll have a handsome face.
“你的聪明和优点他可一点儿也没有!如果你心地善良,你就会变得英俊。
Who knows who your parents were?Perhaps a king and queen,far more important than the Lintons!'
谁又知道你父母是什么人物?说不定是国王和王后呢,比林顿家显赫多了!”
In this way I encouraged Heathcliff to have more confidence in himself.
我就是这样鼓励希斯克利夫,让他对自己有更多自信。
But when the Earnshaws and the Lintons arrived back from church,the first thing Hindley did was shout at Heathcliff.
但当欧肖一家和林顿一家从教堂回来时,亨德雷二话没说就冲着希斯克利夫吼叫起来。