'I don't know any of them.I only know Edgar.'
“我不认识他们,我只认识艾加。”
'Well,I don't know why you're unhappy,Miss Catherine.
“那,我就不知道你为何闷闷不乐了,凯瑟琳小姐。
Your brother will be pleased,and Mr Edgar's parents will,too.
你哥哥会高兴的,艾加先生的父母也会高兴的。
You love Edgar,and Edgar loves you.What's the problem?'
你爱艾加,艾加也爱你。有什么问题?”
'here!And here!'replied Catherine,beating her head and her chest.
“这儿!还有这儿!”凯瑟琳答道,边说边敲着自己的头和心口。
'In my heart and soul I know I'm wrong!Ellen,I can't live apart from Heathcliff!He is more myself than I am.
“在我心灵深处我知道我错了!艾伦,我生命里不能没有希斯克利夫!他比我还是我自己!
Our souls are the same!I have nothing in common with Edgar.
我们心心相印!而我与艾加毫无共同之处。
But I can't marry Heathcliff now!Hindley has made him become a poor,dull farm worker.
但我现在不能嫁给希斯克利夫!亨德雷把他变成了一个穷困、枯燥乏味的干农活的。
He'll never know how I love him.
他永远不会知道我有多爱他。
I suddenly heard a movement outside the window,and saw Heathcliff stand up and walk away.
我突然听见窗外有动静,然后看见希斯克利夫站起来走开了。
I realized he had been listening until he heard Catherine say she could not marry him.
我意识到他一直在听,直到凯瑟琳说她不会嫁给他。
Then he stayed to hear no more.
之后他就没留下来听了。
'Quiet,Miss Catherine!'I said.
“静一静,凯瑟琳小姐!”我说。
'Just imagine how hard it will be for Heathcliff when you marry Mr Edgar!He'll have no friends at all when you leave him.
“只要想一想你嫁给艾加时对希斯克利夫有多残酷啊!你离开他,他就一个朋友也没有了。”
'Leave him?Why should we be separated?'she asked angrily.
“离开他?我们为什么要分开?”她怒问道。
'Who will separate us?Nobody will dare!Edgar must learn to accept him as my friend.
“谁会拆散我们?没人敢!艾加要学着把他作为我的朋友来接受他。
Didn't you ever think,Ellen,that if Heathcliff and I married,we would be very poor?
你难道没想过,艾伦,如果希斯克利夫和我结婚,我们就会一贫如洗吗?
But if I marry Edgar,I can help Heathcliff with my husband's money.
可如果我嫁了艾加,我可以用我丈夫的钱帮助希斯克利夫。