Heathcliff stared down at the child he was holding.
希斯克利夫紧盯着他手中抱着的孩子。
He must have felt sorry he had saved the life of his enemy's son.
他一定后悔救了他仇人儿子的命。
I rushed to take the poor little boy in my arms,and Hindley came slowly downstairs.
我赶上去把那可怜的小男孩接到我怀里,亨德雷慢条斯理地朝楼下走来。
'Look what you've done,Mr Hindley!'I cried.
“看您做了些什么,亨德雷先生!”我叫道。
'You nearly killed your own son!What would his mother say if she were alive?'
“您差点弄死自己的儿子!如果他妈还活着会怎么说?”
'Take him away,Ellen. And you,Heathcliff,go away too.
“把他带走,艾伦。还有你,希斯克利夫,也走开。
I won't murder you tonight,unless perhaps I set the house on fire.
我今晚不会杀你,除非可能我把这房子烧了。
But that depends how I feel.'And he poured himself a drink.
但那得看我心情如何。”他给自己倒了杯酒。
'Don't drink any more,Mr Hindley!'I begged.
“别再喝啦,亨德雷先生!”我乞求道。
'What difference does it make?'he growled.
“那又怎么样?”他咆哮道。
'Get out,both of you!To the devil with you!'
“滚,你们两个都滚!你们见鬼去吧!”
We left him swearing at us,and went back into the kitchen.
我们没理会他对我们的咒骂,回到厨房。
'It's a pity he can't kill himself with drink,'muttered Heathcliff.
“可惜没喝死他,”希斯克利夫低声说。
'Dr Kenneth says he'll live longer than any of us,he's so strong.
“肯尼士大夫说他会比我们命长,他那么壮。”
He walked out of the door and,I thought,into the fields.
他走出门,我想是到田里去了。
In fact I discovered later that he was sitting just under the window,and could hear everything that was said in the kitchen.
其实到后来我得知他当时坐在窗户下面,厨房里说什么他都能听见。
I was singing little Hareton to sleep when Catherine came in.
我哼着曲儿催小哈里顿入睡时凯瑟琳进来了。
'Are you alone,Ellen?'she whispered.
“你一个人吗,艾伦?”她小声说。
'Where's Heath cliff?'
“希斯克利夫哪儿去啦?”
'He's out on the farm,'I answered.
“他去农庄了,”我回答。