She looked sad and worried,and I even saw a tear or two on her face.
她模样忧郁,心事重重,我甚至看到她脸上有一两滴泪珠。
But I had not forgotten how she had lied,and behaved so badly to me as well as to Edgar Linton,
但我没忘她是如何说瞎话的,还有对我和艾加·林顿那样粗暴,
so I did not feel sorry for her,or encourage her to talk.
所以我不同情她,也不想听她说什么。
'Ellen,will you keep a secret for me?'she asked in the end,giving me her sweetest smile.
“艾伦,你肯为我保密吗?”她最后问道,露出了她最甜美的微笑。
'I must tell you!I need your advice.
“我必须告诉你!我需要你的意见。
Today Edgar Linton has asked me to marry him,and I gave him an answer.
今天艾加·林顿向我求婚了,我给了他个答覆。
Now,before I tell you if it was yes or no,you tell me which I should have said.
现在我先不说是‘是’还是‘不是’,你告诉我应该怎么说。”
'Really,Miss Catherine,how can I know?Perhaps you should have refused him.
“说真的,凯瑟琳,我怎么知道?也许你应该回绝他。
He must be a fool to ask you,after you were so rude and violent this afternoon.
今天下午你对他那么粗暴无礼他还向你求婚,一定是个傻瓜。”
'Well,I accepted him,Ellen!'she said crossly.
“哼,我接受了他,艾伦!”她愠怒地说道。
'But should I have done so?Should I?What do you think?'
“可我该这么做么?我应该么?你怎么想?”
'First,do you love him?'I asked.
“首先是,你爱他吗?”我问。
'Of course I do,'she replied.
“我当然爱他,”她回答。
'Why do you love him,Miss Catherine?'
“你爱他什么,凯瑟琳小姐?”
'Well,I do,that's enough.
“这,我爱他,这就够了。
Well,because he's handsome,and a pleasant companion.'
嗯,因为他英俊,跟他在一起很快活。”
'Oh,that's bad,'I said,shaking my head.
“哦,不妙,”我摇摇头说。
'And because he loves me.'
“还因为他爱我。”
'That's worse.'
“更糟糕。”
'And because he'll be rich,and I shall be the most important woman for miles around.'
“还因为他会很富有,我会成为方圆数英里最尊贵的女人。”
'Worst of all.But there are several other handsome,rich young men in the world.
“糟得不能再糟了。那这世上还有其他一些英俊富有的年轻人。
Why don't you marry one of them?'
你怎么不挑一个嫁?”