Chapter 7 Heathcliff returns
第七章 希斯克利夫回来了
1783 Well, sir, when Miss Catherine became Mrs Linton, and we went to live at Thrushcross Grange,
1783年。好的,先生。凯瑟琳小姐成了林顿夫人,我们就去住到画眉山庄,
I must say I was surprised and pleased by her behaviour.
我得说她的表现让我又惊又喜。
She showed great fondness for her husband, and for his sister, Isabella.
她看上去对丈夫非常疼爱,对他妹妹伊莎贝拉也不错。
He, of course, was very anxious that no one should disobey her, or make her angry.
自然,他很上心不叫人逆她的愿或给她气生。
If she was depressed for a time, he blamed it on the illness she had had, and was sympathetic.
在她心情郁闷时,他就归咎于她得的那场病,大加同情。
But for most of the time, I believe they shared a deep and growing love for each other.
但在大部分时间里,我相信他们相互之间的深情不断增长着。
Unfortunately this happiness did not last.
遗憾的是这种幸福没有持续下去。
One evening I was bringing in a basket of apples from the garden, when a voice behind me said, 'Ellen, is that you?'
一天晚上,我正拎着一篮子苹果从花园往家里去,这时我身后有一个声音说道,“艾伦,是你么?”
It was a deep, rather unusual voice.
这声音低沉,不大熟悉。
I turned, to see a tall, dark man in the shadow near the kitchen door.
我转过身,看到在厨房门旁的阴暗处有一个又高又黑的人。
'Don't you know me? he asked. 'Look, I'm not a stranger!'
“你不认识我了?”他问道,“瞧,我不是个生人!”
'What!'I cried in surprise, for it had been four years since he disappeared. 'Heathcliff! Is it really you?'
“什么!”我惊叫道,因为他已经失踪四年了,“希斯克利夫!真是你吗?”
'Yes, 'he replied, looking up at the windows of the house. 'Are they at home? Where is she? Tell me, Ellen! I must
speak to her!'
“是的,”他回答,抬头看着房子的窗户。“他们在家吗?她在哪儿?告诉我,艾伦!我得和她说话!”