Catherine looked at her husband, half angry and half laughing.
凯瑟琳似怒似笑地看着她的丈夫。
'No, 'she said, 'I can't sit in the kitchen.
“不,”她说,“我不能坐到厨房里。
Ellen, bring two tables, one for your master and Miss Isabella, the other for Heathcliff and myself.
艾伦,搬两张桌子,一张给你的主人和伊莎贝拉,另一张给希斯克利夫和我。
We'll sit apart from them, as we're of a lower class!
我们不跟他们一起坐,因为我们层次低!
Will that please you, Edgar darling? Decide quickly! I must have him near me!'
这样你高兴了罢,亲爱的艾加?快拿主意!我必须让他离我近点!”
'Ellen, you go and bring him up, 'said Mr Edgar.
“艾伦,你去把他领上来,”艾加先生说,
'And Catherine, try not to behave foolishly. Remember, he's only a servant!'
“还有,凯瑟琳,你别做傻事。记住,他只是个下人!”
When Heathcliff entered the sitting-room, I was surprised to see how much he had changed.
当希斯克利夫进到起居室,我惊讶地看到他变化太大了。
He wore a confident, intelligent expression on his face, and his manner was no longer rough.
他脸上带着自信、睿智的表情,举止也不再粗野。
Although I recognized the same black fire in his eyes, the farm boy had become a gentleman.
虽然我还能看出他的眼中依然有一团黑色的火焰,但这个干农活的小伙子已经变成了一个绅士。
Mr Edgar was as surprised as I was, but welcomed Heathcliff as politely as he could.
艾加先生同我一样感到惊讶,但他还是尽可能礼貌地对他表示欢迎。
However, he grew more and more annoyed as he watched his wife's delighted face.
可当看到妻子满脸喜色,他越来越气恼。
She could not take her eyes off Heathcliff.
她的目光无法离开希斯克利夫。
'Tomorrow I won't be able to believe that I've seen and touched you, Heathcliff!'
“到明天我都不能相信我已经见到了你,摸到了你,希斯克利夫!”
she cried, catching hold of his hands.
她抓住他的手,兴奋地说,
'But how cruel of you to run away and keep silent for four years, and never think of me!'
“可你多忍心啊!出走之后杳无音讯都四年了,也从不想我!”
'I've thought of you more than you've thought of me, 'he replied quietly.
“我想你要比你想我多,”他平静地说,
'I heard you had married, Catherine, and I came, just to see you once, and then take my revenge on your brother
Hindley.
“我听说你结婚了,凯瑟琳,我是来见你一面,然后去报复你哥哥亨德雷的。
Your welcome may change my plans.
你对我的欢迎也许会改变我的计划。
You know, I've had a bitter, hard life since I last heard your voice, and If I've survived, it's all because of
you!'
从最后一次听到你声音到现在,我一直过着辛酸艰苦的生活,如果说我还能幸存下来,那都是为了你!”
'Catherine, 'said Mr Edgar, trying to remain polite,
“凯瑟琳,”艾加先生说道,尽量保持着礼节,
'please pour out the tea, or it will be cold. Mr Heathcliff will have a long walk to wherever he's staying tonight,
and I'm thirsty. '
“请倒茶吧,否则就凉了。希斯克利夫先生还要走一段长路到他今晚住的地方,我也渴了。”