Chapter 8 Catherine is ill
第八章 凯瑟琳病了
1783 The next time Heathcliff came to Thrushcross Grange, he met Isabella by chance in front of the house.
1783年。希斯克利夫再次来画眉山庄时碰巧在宅子前面见到了伊莎贝拉。
I was watching from the kitchen window, as he went up to her, and, supposing that no one else could see him, kissed her.
他朝她走过去的时候,我正从厨房的窗户里看着,他以为没人能看见他,就吻了她。
‘Look, madam! ’I cried to Catherine, who was passing through the kitchen.
“看哪,夫人!”我喊着凯瑟琳,她正从厨房走过。
‘That devil Heathcliff told you he could never love Miss Isabella! And now he's kissing her! ’
“希斯克利夫那恶棍告诉你他决不会爱伊莎贝拉小姐!这会儿正吻她呢!”
So when Heathcliff entered the house, Catherine was ready to scold him.
所以希斯克利夫一进房子,凯瑟琳已经打定主意责备他了。
‘Leave Isabella alone, Heathcliff! 'she ordered. ‘You'll make Edgar angry! ’
“别碰伊莎贝拉,希斯克利夫!”她用命令的口吻说道。“你会惹怒艾加的!”
‘You think I'm afraid of that weak little creature? ’he growled.
“你以为我怕那个弱不禁风的小东西?”他吼叫道。
‘Anyway, what difference does it make to you?
“再说,这跟你有什么关系?
I can kiss her if she likes it. I'm not your husband, you needn't be jealous of me! ’
只要她愿意,我就可以吻她。我不是你的丈夫,你不必嫉妒我!”
‘I'm not jealous of you! 'replied Catherine. ‘If you like Isabella, you can marry her. But do you like her? ’
“我没嫉妒你!”凯瑟琳回答。“如果你喜欢伊莎贝拉,你可以娶她。可你真的喜欢她吗?”
‘It's you I want to talk about, Catherine. You know you've treated me badly.
“我想谈论的是你,凯瑟琳。你明白你们都怎么虐待我。
And I'm going to have my revenge!
我要报复!
Thank you for telling me Isabella's secret. I swear I'll make good use of it! ’
谢谢你告诉我伊莎贝拉的秘密。我立誓要好好利用这一点!”
At this point I went to look for my master, and told him that Catherine and Heathcliff were quarrelling in the kitchen.
到了这地步我就去找了我的主人,告诉他凯瑟琳和希斯克利夫正在厨房里争吵。
‘How can my wife call that man a friend? ’he cried angrily.
“我妻子怎么会称这个人为朋友?”他怒吼道。
‘I've been too weak with her. I can't allow him to visit her any more. Call two servants, Ellen. ’
“我对她一直太纵容了。我不能允许他再来看她。叫两个仆人,艾伦。”
He went to the kitchen. I followed him, telling the servants to wait in the hall.
他朝厨房而去。我跟着他,叫仆人在厅里等着。