'I'm not sure if you should see her, 'I hesitated. 'Will the shock be too much for her?
“我说不好你是不是应该见她,”我犹豫道。“这会不会对她太突然了?”
'Go and tell her I'm here, Ellen!' he said impatiently. 'Don't make me suffer like this!'
“去通报她我在这儿,艾伦!”他不耐烦地说。“别让我这样受苦!”
I left him at the door, and went upstairs to find Mr and Mrs Linton.
我把他留在门口,上楼去找林顿夫妇。
They were sitting quietly together, looking out over the peaceful valley.
他们静静地坐在一起,眺望着宁静的山谷。
The room, and the view, and the two people, seemed so calm that I did not want to disturb them. But I had to deliver
my message.
这房间、这景致,还有那两个人,看上去那么平和安宁,我真不愿打搅他们。可我不得不通报讯息。
'A man wants to see you, madam, 'I muttered.
“有个人想见您,夫人,”我低声说。
'I'll go downstairs and see him then, 'replied Catherine.
“那我就下楼去见他,”凯瑟琳答应。
'Bring the tea up, Ellen, while I'm away. 'She left the room.
“艾伦,我不在这会儿你把茶端上来。”她离开了房间。
'Who is it, Ellen?' asked Mr Edgar.
“是谁,艾伦?”艾加先生问。
'It's that Heathcliff, sir. You remember, he used to live at Wuthering Heights.'
“是那个希斯克利夫,先生。您记得,他以前住在呼啸山庄。”
'What! The gipsy, who worked on the farm?' he cried.
“什么!那个吉卜赛人,在农庄干活儿的那个?”他叫喊道。
'Mrs Linton would be angry if she heard you talking about him like that, sir.
“先生,如果林顿夫人听见您这么说他,会生气的。
She was very upset when he ran away. She's very fond of him, you know.'
他出走时她很难过。她非常喜欢他,这您知道。”
Mr Edgar put his head out of the window and called to his wife,
艾加先生把头探出窗子,高声对他妻子说,
'Don't stand there in the cold, love! Bring the person in, if it's anyone special.'
“别站在凉地里,亲爱的!要是贵客,就把他带进来。”
Catherine rushed upstairs and into the room, wild and breathless.
凯瑟琳冲上楼进了房间,兴奋若狂,气喘吁吁。
She threw her arms round her husband's neck.
她张开双臂,一下搂住了丈夫的脖子。
'Oh Edgar darling! Heathcliff's come back!'
“哦,亲爱的艾加!希斯克利夫回来啦!”
'Well, well, 'said Mr Edgar crossly, 'there's no need to get excited.'
“好,好,”艾加先生不痛快地说道,“没有必要激动。”
'I know you didn't like him, 'she said,
“我知道你不喜欢他,”她说,
'but please, I beg you to be friends with him now. Shall I ask him to come up?'
“但求求你,我乞求你现在跟他做朋友。我能让他上来么?”
'You're suggesting inviting him up here, into our sitting room?
“你想请他上到这儿,到我们的起居室?
Don't you think the kitchen is more suitable for him?'
你难道不觉得他去厨房更妥当吗?”