But if I'm a respecter of states' laws,how then can I legally free 'em with my Proclamation as I done,
但如若我是一名尊崇宪法的人 除了作废宪法之外
unless I'm cancelling states' laws?
我又如何能合法地以宣言解放他们
I felt the war demanded it.
我认为内战需要我这么做
my oath demanded it,I felt right with myself, and I hoped it was legal to do it,I'm hoping stilll.
我的职责迫使我这么做 我认为这是正确的 希望能合法达到这一目的 至今都希望如此
Two years ago I proclaimed these people emancipated,Then, thenceforward and forever free.
两年前我正式宣布解放他们 那么从此永远地解放了
But let's say the courts decide I had no authority to do it.They might well decide that.
但法庭判决我无此权力 也许他们做出了正确的裁决
Say there's no amendment abolishing slavery.
假设并未修订废奴修正案
Say it's after the war,and I can no longer use my war powers to just ignore the courts' decisions,like I sometimes felt I had to do.
假设战后 我将不能再通过 有时不得不使用的开战权 忽视法庭判决
Might those people I freed be ordered back into slavery?
那么我解放的人民会被重新奴役吗
That's why I'd like to get the Thirteenth Amendment through the House,
因此我想要众议院 通过第13号修正案
and on its way to ratification by the states,wrap the whole slavery thing up,
借此得到国家的认可 一劳永逸
forever and aye, as soon as I'm able.
尽我所能地解决奴隶制的余孽
Now! End of this month! And I'd like you to stand behind me,like my cabinet's most always done.
本月末 我想要你们对我做出支持 做出内阁应有的支持
As the preacher said, I could write shorter sermons but once I start I get too lazy to stop.
牧师说 我可以少些布道言说 但我一提笔 就无法停下