We welcome you, ladies and gentlemen,
女士们先生们 欢迎来到众议院
first in the history of this people's chamber, to your House.
这对于本间民众议会厅来说是史无先例的
Mr. Ashley, the floor is yours.
阿什利先生 有请你来发言
On the matter of the joint resolution before us,
今天我们将对面前的这份联合决议投票
presenting a Thirteenth Amendment to our national Constitution,
本决议称为宪法第13号修正案
which was passed last year by the Senate,
已于去年获得参议院决议通过
and which has been debated now by this estimable body for the past several weeks,today we will vote.
过去的几周里 在座的各位也对此进行了激烈辩论 今天是投票的时刻
By mutual agreement, we shall hear brief final statements,
经双方协定 我们将做简短的最终陈述
beginning with the honorable George Pendleton of Ohio.
由俄亥俄州的乔治·彭德尔顿阁下开始
I've just received confirmation of what previously has been merely rumored.Affidavits.
我刚刚证实了 之前的某个传言 和平宣誓书
From loyal citizens recently returned from Richmond.
忠诚的民众从里士满将它带回
They testify that Commissioners have indeed come north and ought to have arrived by now in Washington City,
他们证实了特使团的确已经北上 现在应该已经到达华盛顿了
bearing an offer of immediate cessation of our civil war.
使者们此行旨在立即停止内战
Is it true, sir?Are there Confederate commissioners in the Capitol?
是真的吗 先生 国会大厦里有邦联使者在吗
I don't I have no idea where they are or if they've arrived.If they've arrived?
我 我不知道他们在哪 到没到 到没到
I appeal to my fellow Democrats,to all Republican representatives who give a fig for peace.
我呼吁所有民主党同伴以及热爱和平的共和党代表
Postpone this vote until we have answers from the President himself.
推迟本次投票 直到总统本人给我们一个解释为止