The assassination of Abraham Lincoln is witnessed by more than 1500 people, yet no two accounts match.
目击亚伯拉罕·林肯遇刺的证人 有1500多人 但是没有两份证词相匹配
Even now, scarcely two hours after Booth pulls the trigger,the details fail to correspond.
即使到那时 距布思扣动扳机还不到两小时 描述的遇刺细节却无法一致
Mark Twain once wrote that the very ink with which all history is written is merely fluid prejudice.
马克·吐温曾经写道 书写历史的唯一墨水 就是不断变化的偏见
And so it is that an objective account of any historical event simply does not exist.
因此 对于一件历史事件的客观描述 是完全不存在的
A.M.S. Crawford.William Henry Hawk.James P. Ferguson.I thought, at first, he was intoxicated.There was a glare in his eye.
AMS·克劳福德 威廉·亨利·浩克 詹姆斯·P·弗格森 最初我以为他喝醉了 他眼露凶光
I turned to Captain McGowan,intending to say something in reference to this man's manner.
我转向麦高文上校 打算评论一下 这个人的举止
I was looking with an opera glass to see which citizen it was with the president.
我当时正用小双筒望远镜 来看总统身边的人是谁
The next instant, the shot was fired.
紧接着 他就开枪了
I said, at once, it was the president's box,and jumped to the door.
我马上就说 那是总统的包厢 立刻冲到门口
I was on stage at the time of the firing.
开枪的时候我正在舞台上
And he put his hands on the cushion of the box,and he threw his feet right over.
他的手扶了一下包厢的墙 径直跳了下来
He pulled part of a state flag off.
他扯下来一片联邦国旗
And as I looked towards him,he came in the direction in which I was standing.
我看向他的时候 他从我站着的那个方向走过来
Can you describe the man's form that jumped from the box?
您能描述一下他是怎么从包厢跳下来的吗
Yes, sir. I saw him as he ran across the stage.
可以 先生 我看到他从舞台上跑过去
As he ran across, he looked right up in my face.
他一边跑 一边抬头看向我的脸