or a personal dream, where we'll talk about the work of Herbert Benson as well as Bandura.
也可以是个人梦想我们会谈到Herbert Benson和Bandura
Once again, the Buddha,"We are what we think.
再一次引用佛的话"境随心转
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
全由意念升起
With our thoughts, we make our world."
我们的念头造就了世界"
Again, this was a claim made thousands of years ago.
这是几千年前的一个主张
What I want to do now is focus on the scientific foundation of this claim.
现在我要做的是专注于这个主张的科学基础
And I'll start by talking about Pygmalion in the classroom.
我会从皮格马利翁开始讲起
The source of the word, Pygmalion is ancient Greece.
"Pygmalion"是古希腊语
Pygmalion was a sculptor.
皮格马利翁是个雕刻家
And what he did was when he came of age was looking for his ideal woman.
成年后他开始寻找理想中的女人
He wanted to get married.
他想结婚
So he went and looked around Athens where he lived;
他在雅典城里寻找
he looked around the all of Greece;
找遍整个希腊
he looked around the Greek Empire;
找遍整个希腊帝国
he looked beyond the Greek Empire, looking for his ideal woman a woman whom he could marry.
去希腊帝国以外寻找,寻找他理想中的女人一个能和他结婚的女人
And he couldn't find her, no matter where he looked.
但没有找到不论去哪里找
I mean it's understandable this was before 1879 which was when Red Cliff was founded,and long before Harvard became co-ed.
这是可以理解的那是1879年之前,雷德克利夫学院还没成立远在哈佛成为男女合校之前
So he couldn't find his ideal woman and he went back to Athens.
他找不到理想中的女人,于是他返回雅典
And he said to himself.
他对自己说
"Well, instead of finding that ideal woman,
"我不再寻找理想中的女人
I will create a sculpture" as he was a sculptor,
我要雕刻一座雕像"因为他是雕刻家
"I will create a sculpture in her image."
"我会以她的形象雕刻一座雕像"