As Harry entered Flourish and Blotts, the manager came hurrying towards him.
哈利走进这家书店,经理急忙迎上前来。
'Hogwarts?' he said abruptly. 'Come to get your new books?'
“霍格沃茨的吗?”他出其不意地问道,“是来买新书的吗?”
'Yes,' said Harry. 'I need...'
“是的,”哈利说,“我需要……”
'Get out of the way,' said the manager impatiently, brushing Harry aside.
“请让开一点儿。”经理不耐烦地说,把哈利推向一边。
He drew on a pair of very thick gloves, picked up a large, knobbly walking stick and proceeded towards the door of the Monster Books' cage.
他戴上一副很厚的手套,拿起一根很粗的、满是节疤的手杖,走向那装有《妖怪们的妖怪书》的铁笼子。
'Hang on,' said Harry quickly, 'I've already got one of those.'
“等一等,”哈利急忙说,“这本书我已经有了。”
'Have you?' A look of enormous relief spread over the manager's face.
“已经有了吗?”经理的脸上马上露出大为宽慰的神色,
'Thank heavens for that, I've been bitten five times already this morning.'
“多谢老天了,今天早晨我已经被咬了五次了。”
A loud ripping noise rent the air; two of the Monster Books had seized a third and were pulling it apart.
忽然传来一阵响亮的撕扯声音,两本《妖怪们的妖怪书》抓住了第三本,合力将它撕散。
'Stop it! Stop it!' cried the manager, poking the walking stick through the bars and knocking the books apart.
“住手!住手!”经理嚷道,把那根手杖从铁条之间伸进去,把这几本书打开。
'I'm never stocking them again, never! It's been bedlam!
“我再也不储存这些书了,永远不!简直闹得不可开交!
I thought we'd seen the worst when we bought two hundred copies of The Invisible Book of Invisibility,
我们以前进过两百本《隐形术的隐形书》,我还以为没有什么比它们更糟的了,
cost a fortune, and we never found them... Well, is there anything else I can help you with?'
那些书好贵啊,而且我们永远没有……好吧,你要别的什么书吗?”
'Yes,' said Harry, looking down his booklist.
“要的,”哈利说,看着他的书单,
'I need Unfogging the Future, by Cassandra Vablatsky.'
“我需要一本卡桑德拉瓦布拉斯基著的《拨开迷雾看未来》。”
'Ah, starting Divination, are you?' said the manager, stripping off his gloves and leading Harry into the back of the shop,
“啊,开始要学预言了,是不是?”经理说着就脱下了手套,把哈利领到书店的后半部去了。
where there was a corner devoted to fortune-telling.
那里有一个角落,放的全都是占卜方面的书。
A small table was stacked with volumes
一张小桌子上放了许多书,
such as Predicting the Unpredictable: Insulate Yourself against Shocks and Broken Balls: When Fortunes Turn Foul.
如《预言无法预见的事:使你自己免受打击》和《破碎的球:命运不济的时候》。