Trying to answer a question with Hermione next to him, bobbing up and down on the balls of her feet with her hand in the air, was very off-putting, but Harry had a go.
赫敏坐在哈利旁边,踮着脚跳上跳下。她的手又举了起来,在这种情况下,要回答问题是使人困窘的,不过哈利不能不回答。
'Er — because there are so many of us, it won't know what shape it should be?'
“哦——因为我们人多,它不知道应该变成什么榉子,是这样吗?”
'Precisely,' said Professor Lupin, and Hermione put her hand down looking a little disappointed.
“一点不错。”卢平教授说,赫敏放下了手,看上去有点失望的样子。
'It's always best to have company when you're dealing with a Boggart. He becomes confused.
“跟博格特打交道,最好的办法就是要人多,它就糊涂了。
Which should he become, a headless corpse or a flesh-eating slug?
它应该变成什么样子呢?是没有脑袋的尸体,还是食肉的鼻涕虫?
I once saw a Boggart make that very mistake — tried to frighten two people at once and turned himself into half a slug. Not remotely frightening.
有一次我就看到一个博格特犯了这样的错误——想要同时吓两个人,于是把自己变成了半截鼻涕虫。一点也不吓人。
'The charm that repels a Boggart is simple, yet it requires force of mind.
“击退博格特的咒语是简单的,但需要意志力。
You see, the thing that really finishes a Boggart is laughter.
你们知道,真正吓退博格特的是大笑。
What you need to do is force it to assume a shape that you find amusing.
你们必须做的只是强迫它变成你认为可笑的形象。
'We will practise the charm without wands first. After me, please... riddikulus!'
“我们先不用魔杖就来说一下这句咒语。请跟我说……滑稽滑稽!”
'Riddikulus!' said the class together.
“滑稽滑稽!”全班齐声说。
'Good,' said Professor Lupin. 'Very good. But that was the easy part, I'm afraid.
“好,”卢平教授说,“很好。但是,恐怕这只是容易的部分。
You see, the word alone is not enough.
你们知道,单说这句咒语是不够的。
And this is where you come in, Neville.'
这就看你的了,纳威。”
The wardrobe shook again, though not as much as Neville, who walked forward as though he was heading for the gallows.
那衣柜又抖动起来,不过还没有纳威抖得厉害,纳威往前走的时候,就像是去上绞刑架。
'Right, Neville,' said Professor Lupin. 'First things first: what would you say is the thing that frightens you most in the world?'
“好,纳威,”卢平教授说,“第一件事:你说,世界上你最怕什么?”
Neville's lips moved, but no noise came out.
纳威的嘴唇动着,却发不出声音。