"Did you see him when you were there?"he asked.
“你在那儿看到院长了吗?”杰夫叔叔问道。
"No, I didn't see anyone,"she said.
“没有,我没看见任何人,”她说。
"The secretary wasn't at her desk and I just walked through to the back room and left the envelope there."
“秘书不在办公室,我径直走到后面的房间,把信封留在那里了。”
"Was anyone at your apartment when you got back?"he asked her.
“你回去的时候,公寓里有人吗?”杰夫叔叔问。
"No, I live alone,"she said, "but I was there from about 3:30 to just after 8:00."
“不,我一个人住,”她说,“但我从3点半到8点后的时间在公寓。”
"Where did you go then?"he asked.
“那你之后去哪儿了?”他问道。
"She went to meet me for coffee,"I said to Uncle Jeff, feeling slightly embarrassed.
“她去和我喝咖啡了,”我对杰夫叔叔说,感到有些尴尬。
"Right,"she replied.
“没错,”她回答说。
Then she turned to Uncle Jeff. "You'll help me find those photographs, won't you?"
然后她转向杰夫叔叔。“你会帮我找到那些照片的,是吗?”
"I don't know. I'll do what I can,"he said.
“我不知道,我会尽我所能,”他说。
Jennifer looked worried. I believed her and I didn't want to see her like this—desperate and unhappy.
詹妮弗看上去忧心忡忡。我相信她,我不想看到她这样绝望和不快乐。
I wished there were some way I could get those photos back for her.
我真希望能有什么办法把那些照片还给她。
If there was only some way....
如果只有一个方法....