After Jennifer went home, Uncle Jeff wanted to walk around a little to think.
詹妮弗回家后,杰夫叔叔想四处走走,想一想。
We walked in silence for about 10 minutes before he said,
我们沉默了大约10分钟,他说道,
"There are a few things we know about this case so far.
“到目前为止,我们对这个案件有了一些了解。
This looks like a crime of opportunity—that is, I don't think it was planned ahead of time."
这看起来像是一种机会犯罪——我认为这不是事先计划好的。”
"What do you mean?" I asked.
“什么意思?”我问。
"Well, the murderer didn't bring the murder weapon with him to the dean's office.
“凶手没有把凶器带到院长办公室。
It was something convenient—the statue that was already there."
那儿有方便的凶器——雕像。”
"We also know," he continued, "that the dean is a blackmailer.
“我们也知道,”他接着说,“院长是个敲诈者。
Blackmailers often have more than one victim.
敲诈者通常不止一个受害者。
If Alan Maurie was blackmailing Jennifer, I wonder whom else he was blackmailing."
如果毛里院长在勒索詹妮弗,我想知道他还在勒索谁。”
"I see what you mean," I said. "Who do you suspect so far?"
“我明白你的意思,”我说。“到目前为止,你怀疑谁?”
"There are four people who had motive and opportunity," he said.
“四个人有作案的动机和机会,”他说。
"First, there's Diana Marcelo.
“首先是黛安娜·马塞洛,
She wanted to save her marriage and Dean Maurie didn't want to end the affair.
她想挽救自己的婚姻,而毛里院长不想结束这段恋情。
She may have gone to see him again, they fought, and she killed him.
她可能又去看他了,他们打了起来,黛安娜·马塞洛杀了院长。
She also had opportunity. She says she was at home alone when the murder occurred.
詹妮弗也有机会,她说案发时她一个人在家。
And as far as we know, no one can say whether or not she was there.
据我们所知,没有人能证明她是否在家。