"Now, Jane, that is all."
“现在,简,讲完了吧。”
"All the preface, sir; the tale is yet to come.
“序幕完了,先生,故事还没有开场呢。
On waking, a gleam dazzled my eyes; I thought -- Oh, it is daylight!
醒来时一道强光弄得我眼睛发花。我想--呵,那是日光!
But I was mistaken; it was only candlelight. Sophie, I supposed, had come in.
可是我搞错了,那不过是烛光。我猜想索菲娅已经进屋了。
There was a light in the dressing-table, and the door of the closet,
梳妆台上有一盏灯,而衣橱门大开着,
where, before going to bed, I had hung my wedding-dress and veil, stood open; I heard a rustling there.
睡觉前我曾把我的婚礼服和面纱放进橱里。我听见了一阵悉悉粹粹的声音。
I asked, 'Sophie, what are you doing?'
我问,‘索菲娅,你在干嘛?’
No one answered; but a form emerged from the closet;
没有人回答。但是一个人影从橱里出来。
it took the light, held it aloft, and surveyed the garments pendent from the portmanteau.
它端着蜡烛,举得高高的,并且仔细端详着从架子上垂下来的衣服。
'Sophie! Sophie!' I again cried: and still it was silent.
‘索菲娅!索菲娅!’我又叫了起来,但它依然默不作声。
I had risen up in bed, I bent forward: first surprise, then bewilderment, came over me;
我已在床上坐了起来,俯身向前。我先是感到吃惊,继而迷惑不解。
and then my blood crept cold through my veins.
我血管里的血也冷了。
Mr. Rochester, this was not Sophie, it was not Leah, it was not Mrs. Fairfax:
罗切斯特先生,这不是索菲娅,不是莉娅,也不是费尔法克斯太太。
it was not -- no, I was sure of it, and am still -- it was not even that strange woman, Grace Poole."
它不是--不,我当时很肯定,现在也很肯定--甚至也不是那个奇怪的女人格雷斯·普尔。”