"Ghosts are usually pale, Jane."
“鬼魂总是苍白的,简。”
"This, sir, was purple: the lips were swelled and dark; the brow furrowed:
“先生,它却是紫色的。嘴唇又黑又肿,额头沟壑纵横,
the black eyebrows widely raised over the bloodshot eyes.
乌黑的眉毛怒竖着,两眼充满血丝,
Shall I tell you of what it reminded me?" "You may."
要我告诉你我想起了什么吗?”“可以。”
"Of the foul German spectre -- the Vampyre."
“想起了可恶的德国幽灵--吸血鬼。”
"Ah! -- what did it do?"
“呵!它干了什么啦?”
"Sir, it removed my veil from its gaunt head, rent it in two parts,
“先生,它从瘦削的头上取下面纱,撕成两半,
and flinging both on the floor, trampled on them." "Afterwards?"
扔在地上,踩了起来。”“后来呢?”
"It drew aside the window-curtain and looked out;
“它拉开窗帘,往外张望。
perhaps it saw dawn approaching, for, taking the candle, it retreated to the door.
也许它看到已近拂晓,便拿着蜡烛朝房门退去。
Just at my bedside, the figure stopped: the fiery eyes glared upon me
正好路过我床边时,鬼影停了下来。
she thrust up her candle close to my face, and extinguished it under my eyes.
火一般的目光向我射来,她把蜡烛举起来靠近我的脸,在我眼皮底下把它吹灭了。
I was aware her lurid visage flamed over mine, and I lost consciousness:
我感到她白煞煞的脸朝我闪着光,我昏了过去。
for the second time in my life -- only the second time -- I became insensible from terror."
平生第二次--只不过第二次--我吓昏了。”