He drew his breath short, and strained me so close to him, I could scarcely pant.
他喘着粗气,紧紧地搂住我,差点让我透不过气来。
After some minutes' silence, he continued, cheerily:
沉默片刻之后,他兴致十足地说下去:
"Now, Janet, I'll explain to you all about it. It was half dream, half reality.
“现在,简,我来解释给你听。这一半是梦,一半是真。
A woman did, I doubt not, enter your room: and that woman was -- must have been -- Grace Poole.
我并不怀疑确实有个女人进了你房间,那女人就是--准是--格雷斯·普尔。
You call her a strange being yourself:
你自己把她叫作怪人,
from all you know, you have reason so to call her -- what did she do to me? What to Mason?
就你所知,你有理由这么叫她--瞧她怎么对待我的?怎么对待梅森?
In a state between sleeping and waking, you noticed her entrance and her actions;
在似睡非睡的状态下,你注意到她进了房间,看到了她的行动,
but feverish, almost delirious as you were, you ascribed to her a goblin appearance different from her own:
但由于你兴奋得几乎发狂,你把她当成了不同于她本来面貌的鬼相:
the long dishevelled hair, the swelled black face, the exaggerated stature, were figments of imagination;
散乱的长发、黑黑的肿脸、夸大了的身材是你的臆想,
results of nightmare: the spiteful tearing of the veil was real: and it is like her.
恶梦的产物。恶狠狠撕毁面纱倒是真的,很象她干的事。
I see you would ask why I keep such a woman in my house:
我明白你会问,干嘛在屋里养着这样一个女人。
when we have been married a year and a day, I will tell you; but not now.
等我们结婚一周年时,我会告诉你,而不是现在。
Are you satisfied, Jane? Do you accept my solution of the mystery?"
你满意了吗,简?你同意对这个谜的解释吗?”