"Mental terrors, sir! I wish I could believe them to be only such:
“心理恐惧!但愿我能相信不过如此而已!
I wish it more now than ever; since even you cannot explain to me the mystery of that awful visitant."
而既然连你都无法解释可怕的来访者之谜,现在我更希望只是心理恐惧了。”
"And since I cannot do it, Jane, it must have been unreal."
“既然我无法解释,简,那就一定不会是真的。”
"But, sir, when I said so to myself on rising this morning,
“不过,先生,我今天早晨起来,这么自言自语说着,
and when I looked round the room to gather courage and comfort from the cheerful aspect of each familiar object in full daylight,
在房间里东张西望,想从光天化日下每件眼熟的东西悦目的外表上,找到点勇气和慰籍
there -- on the carpet -- I saw what gave the distinct lie to my hypothesis,
瞧,就在地毯上--我看到了一件东西,完全否定了我原来的设想
the veil, torn from top to bottom in two halves!"
那块从上到下被撕成两半的面纱!”
I felt Mr. Rochester start and shudder; he hastily flung his arms round me.
我觉得罗切斯特先生大吃一惊,打了个寒颤,急急忙忙搂住我脖子。
"Thank God!" he exclaimed, "that if anything malignant did come near you last night,
“谢天谢地!”他嚷道,“幸好昨晚你所遇到的险情,
it was only the veil that was harmed. Oh, to think what might have happened!"
不过就是毁了面纱。哎呀,只要想一想还会出什么别的事呢?”