"Who are you?" he asked of the intruder.
“你是谁?”他问那个入侵者。
"My name is Briggs, a solicitor of -- Street, London."
“我的名字叫布里格斯--伦敦XX街的一个律师。”
"And you would thrust on me a wife?"
“你要把一个妻子强加于我吗?”
"I would remind you of your lady's existence, sir, which the law recognises, if you do not."
“我要提醒你,你有一个太太。先生,就是你不承认,法律也是承认的。”
"Favour me with an account of her -- with her name, her parentage, her place of abode."
“请替我描述一下她的情况--她的名字,她的父母,她的住处。”
"Certainly." Mr. Briggs calmly took a paper from his pocket, and read out in a sort of official, nasal voice:
“当然。”布里格斯先生镇定自若地从口袋里取出了一个文件,用一种一本正经的鼻音读了起来:
"'I affirm and can prove that on the 20th of October A.D. (a date of fifteen years back),
“我断言并证实,公元XX年十月二十日(十五年前的一个日子),
Edward Fairfax Rochester, of Thornfield Hall, in the county of, and of Ferndean Manor, in shire, England,
英国XX郡桑菲尔德府、及XX郡芬丁庄园的爱德华·费尔法克斯·罗切斯特
was married to my sister, Bertha Antoinetta Mason, daughter of Jonas Mason, merchant,
同我的姐姐,商人乔纳斯·梅森及妻子克里奥尔人、安托万内特的女儿,伯莎·安托万内·梅森,
and of Antoinetta his wife, a Creole -- at -- church, Spanish Town, Jamaica.
在牙买加的西班牙镇XX教堂成婚。
The record of the marriage will be found in the register of that church
婚礼的记录可见于教堂的登记簿
a copy of it is now in my possession. Signed, Richard Mason.'"
其中一份现在我手中。里查德.梅森签字。”
"That -- if a genuine document -- may prove I have been married,
“如果这份文件是真的,那也只能证明我结过婚,
but it does not prove that the woman mentioned therein as my wife is still living."
却不能证明里面作为我妻子而提到的女人还活着。”
"She was living three months ago," returned the lawyer.
“三个月之前她还活着,”律师反驳说。
"How do you know?"
“你怎么知道?”
"I have a witness to the fact, whose testimony even you, sir, will scarcely controvert."
“我有一位这件事情的证人,他的证词,先生,连你也难以反驳。”
"Produce him -- or go to hell."
“把他叫来吧--不然见鬼去。”