"You know I am a scoundrel, Jane?" ere long he inquired wistfully
“你知道我是个恶棍吗,简?”不久他若有所思地问,
wondering, I suppose, at my continued silence and tameness, the result rather of weakness than of will.
我想是对我继续缄默令神而感到纳闷,我那种心情是软弱而不是意志力的表现。
"Yes, sir." "Then tell me so roundly and sharply -- don't spare me."
“是的,先生。”“那就直截了当毫不留情地告诉我吧,别姑息我。”
"I cannot: I am tired and sick. I want some water."
“我不能,我既疲倦又不舒服。我想喝点儿水。”
He heaved a sort of shuddering sigh, and taking me in his arms, carried me downstairs.
他颤抖着叹了口气,把我抱在怀里下楼去了。
At first I did not know to what room he had borne me;
起初我不知道他要把我抱到哪个房间去,
all was cloudy to my glazed sight: presently I felt the reviving warmth of a fire;
在我呆滞的目光中一切都朦朦胧胧。很快我觉得一团温暖的火又回到了我身上,
for, summer as it was, I had become icy cold in my chamber.
因为虽然时令正是夏天,我在自己的房间里早已浑身冰凉。
He put wine to my lips; I tasted it and revived; then I ate something he offered me, and was soon myself.
他把酒送到我嘴里,我尝了一尝,缓过了神来。随后我吃了些他拿来的东西,于是很快便恢复过来了。
I was in the library -- sitting in his chair -- he was quite near.
我在图书室里--坐在他的椅子上--他就在我旁边。
"If I could go out of life now, without too sharp a pang, it would be well for me," I thought;
“要是我现在就毫无痛苦地结束生命,那倒是再好没有了。”我想,
"then I should not have to make the effort of cracking my heart-strings in rending them from among Mr. Rochester's.
“那样我就不必狠心绷断自己的心弦,以中止同罗切斯特先生心灵上的联系。
I must leave him, it appears. I do not want to leave him -- I cannot leave him."
后来我得离开他。我不想离开他--我不能离开他。”