"I acted precisely on this suggestion.
“我完全按这个建议去做。
My father and brother had not made my marriage known to their acquaintance;
我的父亲和哥哥没有把我婚姻的底细透给他们的旧识,
because, in the very first letter I wrote to apprise them of the union
因为在我写给他们的第一封信里,我就向他们通报了我的婚配,
having already begun to experience extreme disgust of its consequences,
已经开始感受到它极其讨厌的后果,
and, from the family character and constitution, seeing a hideous future opening to me
而且从那一家人的性格和体质中,看到了我可怕的前景,
I added an urgent charge to keep it secret:
我附带又敦促他们严守秘密。
and very soon the infamous conduct of the wife my father had selected for me was such as to make him blush to own her as his daughter-in-law.
不久,我父亲替我选中的妻子的丑行,己经到了这个地步,使他也羞于认她为媳了。
Far from desiring to publish the connection, he became as anxious to conceal it as myself.
对这一关系他远不想大事声张,却像我一样急于把它掩盖起来。
To England, then, I conveyed her; a fearful voyage I had with such a monster in the vessel.
随后我把她送到了英格兰,同这么个怪物呆在船上,经历了一次可怕的航行。
Glad was I when I at last got her to Thornfield, and saw her safely lodged in that third-storey room,
我非常高兴,最后终于把她送到了桑菲尔德,看她平安地住在三楼房间里。
of whose secret inner cabinet she has now for ten years made a wild beast's den -- a goblin's cell.
房间的内密室,十年来己被她弄成了野兽的巢穴--妖怪的密室。
I had some trouble in finding an attendant for her,
我费了一番周折找人服侍她,
as it was necessary to select one on whose fidelity dependence could be placed;
有必要选择一位忠实可靠的人,
for her ravings would inevitably betray my secret:
因为她的呓语必然会泄露我的秘密,
besides, she had lucid intervals of days -- sometimes weeks -- which she filled up with abuse of me.
此外,她还有神志清醒的日子--有时几周--这种时候她整日价骂我。
At last I hired Grace Poole from the Grimbsy Retreat.
最后我从格里姆斯比收容所雇来了格雷斯·普尔。
She and the surgeon, Carter (who dressed Mason's wounds that night he was stabbed and worried),
她和外科医生卡特(梅森被刺并心事重重的那个夜晚,是他给梅森包,扎了伤口),
are the only two I have ever admitted to my confidence.
只有这两个人,我让他们知道我内心的秘密。
Mrs. Fairfax may indeed have suspected something, but she could have gained no precise knowledge as to facts.
费尔法克斯太太其实也许有些怀疑,但无法确切了解有关事实。