Welcome back to English at Work. At the offices of Tip Top Trading, things are a bit… tricky.
欢迎回到职场英语。在Tip Top Trading的办公室里,事情有些棘手。
Denise has been reinstated at the company but now wants to do more than just ordering pens. Tom has other ideas and Anna is just caught in the middle.
丹妮丝已在公司恢复工作,但现在除了订购笔之外,她还想做更多的事情。汤姆还有其他想法,而安娜左右为难。
Who can she turn to? Paul maybe… or maybe not?
她可以找谁帮忙?也许是保罗……也许不是?
So Denise, let's get this straight. You don't want to order the pens anymore, right?
所以,丹妮丝,让我们弄清楚这一点。你不想再订购笔了,是吧?
Well,I did say if I came back, I wanted to have a go at doing sales.
好吧,我确实说过,如果我回来,我想做销售。
Err, yes, you did. That's right.
呃,是的,你的确这样说过。
Yeah but we got Denise back because we didn't have anyone to order our pens and stuff. That's her main job.
是的,但是我们让丹妮丝回来是因为我们没有人订购笔和东西。那是她的主要工作。
Err yes, absolutely. I see your point.
是的,绝对正确。我明白你的意思。
Excuse me Paul, could I suggest we all take it in turns to order things like pens and paper… share the responsibility?
对不起,保罗,我是否可以建议大家轮流订购笔和纸之类的东西……共同承担责任?
That's a good idea Anna.
安娜,那是个好主意。
Yeah but…
但是...
No buts Tom, that's a good solution. Well done Anna… could you draw up a rota so we know who's going to be ordering the pens and when?
汤姆,别说了,这是一个很好的解决方案。就这样,安娜,你能拟定一份轮值表吗,以便我们知道谁将在何时订购笔。
And don't forget to order biscuits too! Phew, I'm glad I got that sorted out. Right, back to work everyone.
而且,别忘了订饼干!我很高兴我解决了这个问题。好了,每个人都回去工作。
I can't believe I've got to order pens, it's Denise's responsibility… err, are you OK Anna?
我不敢相信我需要订购笔,这是丹妮丝的责任……嗯,安娜,你还好吗?
No I'm not. I can't draw up a rota, not now. I've got too much to do.
我不好。我现在无法草拟一份轮流表,我有很多事要做。
Oh don't panic Anna. Just do what I do.
哦,不要惊慌,安娜。就像我这样。
What's that?
怎么样?
Nothing! Just do what you can do and then pretend you've forgotten about the other stuff. Easy!
没什么!只做你能做的,然后假装忘记其他事。就这么简单!
Oh dear, Tom's not that professional is he? Not like you Anna. You just need to get organised and prioritise.
天哪,汤姆不是那种专业人士吗? 不像你,安娜。你只需要变得井井有条并先做优先事项。
I need to prioritise?
我需要先做优先事项?
Yes. Decide what tasks need doing first and maybe delegate some tasks to others.
是的。确定首先需要做的事,然后将某些任务委托给其他人。
You could say to people "I've got to prioritise. This is the most important, so I'm going to concentrate on this first",
你可以对人们说:“我必须先做优先事项。这是最重要的,因此我将首先专注于此”,
then you could say to someone "It would be a great help if you could take on this other task".
然后你可以对某人说:“如果你可以承担其他任务,那将是非常有帮助的”。
You could also say "I'll have to put off some tasks until tomorrow". And if you still feel under pressure, say to your boss "I need help, I have too much to do".
你也可以说“我必须推迟一些任务到明天”。 如果你仍然感到压力,对你的老板说:“我需要帮助,我有太多事情要做”。
Thanks, good advice. I'm just writing a list of all the things I need to do on my new mini me-pad.
谢谢,很好的建议。我只是在我新的迷你电脑上写所有需要做的事情的清单。
Writing a list is a good place to start. Good luck!
列一个清单是一个不错的起点。祝好运!
There, that's my list finished. Ah, Denise, sorry to bother you, but you know that rota I was talking about?
我的清单完成了。啊,丹妮丝,很抱歉打扰你,你知道我说的轮值表吗?
The one for ordering pens?
订购笔的轮值表吗?
That's it. Well, I'm so busy, I was wondering… it would be a great help… if you could make a start on this? Please?
是的。好吧,我太忙了,我想知道……如果你从这个开始,这将有很大的帮助……请?
Of course Anna. As it's you. If it was Tom asking, I would have said no!
当然,安娜。因为是你,如果是汤姆问,我会说不!
What's that Denise? Hey Anna, what are we going to do about the designs for that plastic aubergine?
那是什么?丹妮丝。嗨,安娜,我们要对那个塑料茄子的设计做些什么?
Gosh, our new aubergine. Hmm, I'm going to have to put that off until tomorrow I'm afraid.
天哪,我们的新茄子。嗯,恐怕我不得不推迟到明天。
Oh right. Why, have you got something more important for us to do together, eh?
是的。 为什么,你有什么更重要的事情让我们一起做吗?
No Tom. I've just got to prioritise. This new order from Nice'n'Cheesy is the most important, so I'm going to concentrate on that first. OK?
没有,汤姆。我只是做优先事项。来自Nice'n'Cheesy的新订单是最重要的,因此我将首先关注这一点。好吗?
Oh yeah sure. Me and you will have to wait until tomorrow! So… so… how's it going with Dave from Computer Support?
哦,可以。我和你将不得不等到明天! 所以……所以……来自计算机支持部门的戴夫怎么样?
Very well thanks Tom. Last night he took me somewhere I've never been to before.
很好,谢谢你汤姆。昨晚他带我去了我从未去过的地方。
Really. Nice.
真的吗,不错。
Yes, a discount computer shop – he bought me a mini me-pad.
是的,一家折扣电脑商店,他给我买了一个迷你电脑。
Oh. Just a 'mini' one hey.
噢。 只是一个“迷你”的。
Now, if you could take more interest in our Nice'n'Cheesy contract than you do in Dave, it would be a great help.
现在,如果你对我们的Nice'n'Cheesy合同比对戴夫更感兴趣,那将是一个很大的帮助。
Sure, yes, of course… nice'n'sleazy, that's a good name for Dave!
当然,是的,当然……很好,nice'n'sleazy对戴夫来说是个好名字!
Idiot! Getting organised is important when you have a lot to do. Tell people what you're doing and don't forget to ask for help. Here's a reminder of what Anna said:
白痴!有很多工作要做时,有条理很重要。告诉别人你在做什么,不要忘记寻求帮助。下面是安娜说过的:
I've got to prioritise. This task is the most important so I'm going to concentrate on this first.
我必须做优先事项。这项任务是最重要的,因此我将首先专注于此。
It would be a great help if you could do this for me please.
如果你能为我做这个的话将有很大的帮助。
I'm going to have to put that off until tomorrow I'm afraid.
恐怕我不得不推迟到明天。
And don't forget, when you simply have too much to do, tell your boss!
而且不要忘了,当你要做的事情太多时,请告诉你的老板!
Hello Paul, sorry to bother you. I'm a bit worried… I just have too much to do and need some help.
你好,保罗,很抱歉打扰你。我有点担心...我要做的事情太多,需要帮助。
Yes of course. I don't want you feeling stressed. Let me think… erm... I know, why don't I do the pen rota?
当然。我不想让你感到压力。让我想想……呃……我知道,我为什么不参加轮职表?
It's OK,Denise has offered to do that.
没关系,丹妮丝提出她做。
Phew, I mean super! Erm… hmm… well, maybe Tom could help you with the launch party?
这非常好,嗯,也许汤姆可以帮你准备发布会?
Launch party? What launch party?
发布会?什么发布会?
Didn't Tom tell you?
汤姆没告诉你吗?
No, he didn't.
他没有告诉我。
We'r launching the plastic aubergine on Friday.
我们将在周五发布塑料茄子。
Oh no!
噢,不!
Keep calm Anna! We're here to help - although organising a launch party in a week is quite a challenge.
保持冷静,安娜!我们在这里为你提供帮助,不过在一周内组织一次发布会是一个很大的挑战。
Find out how it goes on the next English at Work. Bye!
下一期的职场英语将有介绍。再见!