Having crossed the marsh, I saw a trace of white over the moor.
穿过沼泽我看到荒原上有一条白印子。
I approached it; it was a road or a track:
我向它走去,见是一条大路或是小径,
it led straight up to the light, which now beamed from a sort of knoll,
直通那道正从树丛中一个小土墩上射来的光,
amidst a clump of trees firs, apparently, from what I could distinguish of the character of their forms and foliage through the gloom.
在昏暗中从树形和树叶能分辨出,那显然是杉木树丛,
My star vanished as I drew near: some obstacle had intervened between me and it.
我一走近,我的星星便不见了,原来某些障碍把它和我隔开了。
I put out my hand to feel the dark mass before me:
我伸出手在面前一团漆黑中摸索。
I discriminated the rough stones of a low wall
我辨认出了一堵矮墙的粗糙石头,
above it, something like palisades, and within, a high and prickly hedge. I groped on.
上面象是一道栅栏,里面是高而带刺的篱笆。我继续往前摸。
Again a whitish object gleamed before me: it was a gate -- a wicket; it moved on its hinges as I touched it.
那白色东西歪又在我面前闪光了,原来是一条门--一条旋转门,我一碰便在铰链上转了起来。
On each side stood a sable bush-holly or yew.
门两边各有一丛黑黑的灌木--是冬青或是紫杉。