Having stifled my sobs, wiped my eyes, and muttered something about not being very well that morning, I resumed my task, and succeeded in completing it.
我止住了哽咽,擦去了眼泪,嘟哝着说是早上身体不好,又继续我的功课,并终于完成了,
St. John put away my books and his, locked his desk, and said: --
圣·约翰把我的书和他的书放在一边,锁了书桌,说:——
"Now, Jane, you shall take a walk; and with me."
“好吧,简,你得去散散步,同我一起去。”
"I will call Diana and Mary."
“我来叫黛安娜和玛丽。”
"No; I want only one companion this morning, and that must be you.
“不,今天早上我只要一个人陪伴,一定得是你。
Put on your things; go out by the kitchen-door:
穿上衣服,从厨房门出去,
take the road towards the head of Marsh Glen: I will join you in a moment."
顺着通往沼泽谷源头的路走,我马上会赶来的。”
I know no medium: I never in my life have known any medium in my dealings with positive, hard characters, antagonistic to my own, between absolute submission and determined revolt.
我不知道有折中的办法。在与同我自己的性格相左的那种自信冷酷的个性打交道时,我不知道在绝对屈服和坚决反抗之间,生活中还有什么中间道路。
I have always faithfully observed the one, up to the very moment of bursting, sometimes with volcanic vehemence, into the other;
我往往忠实执行一种方法,有时终于到了似火山喷涌,一触即发的地步,接着便转变成执行另一种方法了。
and as neither present circumstances warranted, nor my present mood inclined me to mutiny,
既然眼前的情况不能保证我起来反抗,而我此刻的心境又无意反抗,
I observed careful obedience to St. John's directions;
我便审慎地服从了圣·约翰的指令,
and in ten minutes I was treading the wild track of the glen, side by side with him.
十分钟后。我与他并肩踩在幽谷的野径上了。
The breeze was from the west: it came over the hills, sweet with scents of heath and rush;
微风从四面吹来,飘过山峦,带来了欧石南和灯心草的芳香。
the sky was of stainless blue; the stream descending the ravine, swelled with past spring rains,
天空湛蓝湛蓝,小溪因为下过春雨而上涨,
poured along plentiful and clear, catching golden gleams from the sun, and sapphire tints from the firmament.
溪水流下山谷,充盈清沏,从太阳那儿借得了金光,从天空中吸取了蓝宝石的色泽。
As we advanced and left the track, we trod a soft turf, mossy fine and emerald green,
我们往前走着离开了小径,踏上了一块细如苔藓、青如绿宝石的柔软草地,
minutely enamelled with a tiny white flower, and spangled with a star-like yellow blossom:
草地上精细地点缀着一种白色的小花,并闪耀着一种星星似的黄花。
the hills, meantime, shut us quite in; for the glen, towards its head, wound to their very core.
山峦包围着我们,因为溪谷在靠近源头的地方蜿蜒伸到了山峦之中。