The glen and sky spun round: the hills heaved!
溪谷和天空顿时旋转起来,群山也翻腾起伏:
It was as if I had heard a summons from Heaven -- as if a visionary messenger, like him of Macedonia, had enounced,
我仿佛听到了上天的召唤——仿佛像马其顿那样的一位幻觉使者已经宣布:
"Come over and help us!"
“过来帮助我们,”
But I was no apostle, -- I could not behold the herald, -- I could not receive his call.
但我不是使徒——我看不见那位使者——我接受不到他的召唤。
"Oh, St. John!" I cried, "have some mercy!"
“呵,圣·约翰!”我叫道,“怜悯怜悯吧!”
I appealed to one who, in the discharge of what he believed his duty, knew neither mercy nor remorse.
我在向一个自以为在履行职责,不知道怜悯和同情的人请求。
He continued: --"God and nature intended you for a missionary's wife.
他继续说:“上帝和大自然要你做一个传教士的妻子,
It is not personal, but mental endowments they have given you: you are formed for labour, not for love.
他们给予你的不是肉体上的能力,而是精神上的票赋。你生来是为了操劳,而不是为了爱情。
A missionary's wife you must -- shall be.
你得做传教士的妻子——一定得做。
You shall be mine: I claim you -- not for my pleasure, but for my Sovereign's service."
你将属于我的,我要你——不是为了取乐,而是为了对主的奉献。”
"I am not fit for it: I have no vocation," I said.
“我不适合,我没有意志力,”我说。
He had calculated on these first objections: he was not irritated by them.
他估计到一开始我会反对,所以并没有被我的话所激怒。
Indeed, as he leaned back against the crag behind him, folded his arms on his chest, and fixed his countenance,
说真的他倚在背后的一块岩石上,双臂抱着放在胸前,脸色镇定沉着。
I saw he was prepared for a long and trying opposition, and had taken in a stock of patience to last him to its close --
我明白他早己准备好对付长久恼人的反抗,而且蓄足了耐心坚持到底——
resolved, however, that that close should be conquest for him.
决心以他对别人的征服而告终。