"Yes," said he, "there is my glory and joy.
“不错,”他说,“那是我的光荣,也是我的欢乐。
I am the servant of an infallible Master.
我是永不出错的主的一个奴仆。
I am not going out under human guidance, subject to the defective laws and erring control of my feeble fellow-worms:
我出门远游不是在凡人的指引之下,不受有缺陷的法规的制约,不受软弱无力的同类可怜虫的错误控制。
my king, my lawgiver, my captain, is the All-perfect.
我的国王,我的立法者,我的首领是尽善尽美的主。
It seems strange to me that all round me do not burn to enlist under the same banner, -- to join in the same enterprise."
我觉得奇怪,我周围的人为什么不热血沸腾,投到同一面旗帜下来——参加同一项事业。”
"All have not your powers, and it would be folly for the feeble to wish to march with the strong."
“并不是所有的人都具有你那样的毅力。弱者希望同强者并驾齐驱是愚蠢的。”
"I do not speak to the feeble, or think of them:
“我说的不是弱者,想到的也不是他们。
I address only such as are worthy of the work, and competent to accomplish it."
我只同那些与那工作相配,并能胜任的人说话。”
"Those are few in number, and difficult to discover."
“那些人为数不多,而且很难发现。”
"You say truly; but when found, it is right to stir them up -- to urge and exhort them to the effort --
“你说得很对,但一经发现,就要把他们鼓动起来——敦促和激励他们去作出努力——
to show them what their gifts are, and why they were given -- to speak Heaven's message in their ear, --
告诉他们自己的才能何在,又是怎么被赋予的——向他们耳朵传递上天的信息——
to offer them, direct from God, a place in the ranks of His chosen."
直接代表上帝,在选民的队伍中给他们一个位置。”
"If they are really qualified for the task, will not their own hearts be the first to inform them of it?"
“要是他们确实能胜任那工作,那么他们的心灵岂不第一个得到感应?”
I felt as if an awful charm was framing round and gathering over me:
我仿佛觉得一种可怕的魔力在我周围和头顶积聚起来。
I trembled to hear some fatal word spoken which would at once declare and rivet the spell.
我颤栗着,唯恐听到某些会立即召来释放能力的致命的话。
"And what does your heart say?" demanded St. John.
“那么你的心怎么说呀?”圣·约翰问。
"My heart is mute, -- my heart is mute," I answered, struck and thrilled.
“我的心没有说——我的心没有说,”我回答,直吓得手骨悚然。
"Then I must speak for it," continued the deep, relentless voice.
“那我得替它说了,”他继续说,语调深沉冷酷。
"Jane, come with me to India: come as my helpmeet and fellow-labourer."
“简,跟我一起去印度吧,做个伴侣和同事。”