"I have an answer for you -- hear it.
“我给你找到了一个答案——你,听着。
I have watched you ever since we first met: I have made you my study for ten months.
自从同你初次接触以后,我就已经在注意你了。我已经研究了你十个月。
I have proved you in that time by sundry tests: and what have I seen and elicited?
那时我在你身上做了各种实验,我看到了什么,得出了什么启示呢?
In the village school I found you could perform well, punctually, uprightly, labour uncongenial to your habits and inclinations;
在乡村学校里,我发现你按时而诚实地完成了不合你习惯和心意的工作。
I saw you could perform it with capacity and tact: you could win while you controlled.
我看到你能发挥自己的能力和机智去完成它。你能自控时,就能取胜。
In the calm with which you learnt you had become suddenly rich,
你知道自己突然发了财时非常镇静,
I read a mind clear of the vice of Demas: -- lucre had no undue power over you.
从这里我看到了一个毫无底马罪过的心灵——钱财对你并没有过份的吸引力。
In the resolute readiness with which you cut your wealth into four shares,
你十分坚定地愿把财富分成四份,
keeping but one to yourself, and relinquishing the three others to the claim of abstract justice,
自己只留一份,把其余的让给了空有公道理由的其他三个人。
I recognised a soul that revelled in the flame and excitement of sacrifice.
从这里,我看到了一个为牺牲而狂喜拣起我所感兴趣的东西那种驯服性格中,
In the tractability with which, at my wish, you forsook a study in which you were interested, and adopted another because it interested me;
从我希望你放弃了你感兴趣的一门学问,而接受了另一门我感兴趣的,
in the untiring assiduity with which you have since persevered in it --
从你一直坚持的孜孜不倦刻苦勤奋的精神中,
in the unflagging energy and unshaken temper with which you have met its difficulties --
从你遇到困难时的坚毅的精力和坚定不移的脾气
I acknowledge the complement of the qualities I seek.
我看到了你具备我所寻求的一切品格。
Jane, you are docile, diligent, disinterested, faithful, constant, and courageous;
简,你温顺、勤奋、无私、忠心、坚定、勇敢。
very gentle, and very heroic: cease to mistrust yourself -- I can trust you unreservedly.
非常温柔,非常英勇:别再不信任你自己了——我可以毫无保留地信任你。
As a conductress of Indian schools, and a helper amongst Indian women, your assistance will be to me invaluable."
你可以掌管印度学校,帮助印度女人,你的协助对我是无价之宝。”