I thought I had taken a wrong direction and lost my way.
我以为我走错了方向,迷路了。
The darkness of natural as well as of sylvan dusk gathered over me.
大自然的黑暗和森林的黄昏笼罩着我。
I looked round in search of another road.
我环顾四周寻找另一条路。
There was none: all was interwoven stem, columnar trunk, dense summer foliage -- no opening anywhere.
一点也没有:所有的都是交织在一起的茎,柱状的树干,浓密的夏季树叶——任何地方都没有出口。
I proceeded: at last my way opened, the trees thinned a little;
我继续往前走去。这条路终于有了出口,树林也稀疏些了。
presently I beheld a railing, then the house -- scarce, by this dim light, distinguishable from the trees;
我立刻看到了一排栏杆。随后是房子——在暗洞洞的光线中,依稀能把它与树木分开。
so dank and green were its decaying walls.
颓败的墙壁阴湿碧绿。
Entering a portal, fastened only by a latch, I stood amidst a space of enclosed ground, from which the wood swept away in a semicircle.
我进了一扇只不过上了栓的门,站在围墙之内的一片空地上,那里的树木呈半园形展开。
There were no flowers, no garden-beds; only a broad gravel-walk girdling a grass-plat, and this set in the heavy frame of the forest.
没有花草,没有苗圃。只有一条宽阔的砂石路绕着一小片草地,藏于茂密的森林之中。
The house presented two pointed gables in its front;
房子的正面有两堵突出的山墙。
the windows were latticed and narrow: the front door was narrow too, one step led up to it.
窗子很窄,装有格子,正门也很窄小,一步就到了门口,
The whole looked, as the host of the Rochester Arms had said, "quite a desolate spot."
正如“罗切斯特纹章”的老板所说,整个庄园显得“十分荒凉”,
It was as still as a church on a week-day: the pattering rain on the forest leaves was the only sound audible in its vicinage.
静得像周日的教堂。落在树叶上的哗哗雨声是附近入耳的唯一声音。
"Can there be life here?" I asked.
“这儿会有生命吗?”我暗自问道。
Yes, life of some kind there was;
不错,是存在着某种生命,
for I heard a movement -- that narrow front-door was unclosing, and some shape was about to issue from the grange.
因为我听见了响动——狭窄的正门打开了,田庄里就要出现某个人影了。