It opened slowly: a figure came out into the twilight and stood on the step;
门慢慢地开了。薄暮中一个人影走了出来,站在台阶上。
a man without a hat: he stretched forth his hand as if to feel whether it rained.
一个没有戴帽子的男人。他伸出手仿佛要感觉一下是不是在下雨。
Dusk as it was, I had recognised him -- it was my master, Edward Fairfax Rochester, and no other.
尽管已是黄昏,我还是认出他来了——那不是别人,恰恰就是我主人,爱德华·费尔法克斯·罗切斯特。
I stayed my step, almost my breath, and stood to watch him -- to examine him, myself unseen, and alas! to him invisible.
我留住脚步,几乎屏住了呼吸,站立着看他——仔细打量他,而不让他看见,呵,他看不见我。
It was a sudden meeting, and one in which rapture was kept well in check by pain.
这次突然相遇,巨大的喜说已被痛苦所制约。
I had no difficulty in restraining my voice from exclamation, my step from hasty advance.
我毫不费力地压住了我的嗓音,免得喊出声来,控制了我的脚步,免得急乎乎冲上前去。
His form was of the same strong and stalwart contour as ever:
他的外形依然象往昔那么健壮,
his port was still erect, his heir was still raven black; nor were his features altered or sunk:
腰背依然笔直、头发依然乌黑。他的面容没有改变或者消瘦。
not in one year's space, by any sorrow, could his athletic strength be quelled or his vigorous prime blighted.
任何哀伤都不可能在一年之内消蚀他强劲的力量,或是摧毁他蓬勃的青春。
But in his countenance I saw a change: that looked desperate and brooding --
但在他的面部表情上,我看到了变化。他看上去绝望而深沉——
that reminded me of some wronged and fettered wild beast or bird, dangerous to approach in his sullen woe.
令我想起受到虐待和身陷囹圄的野兽或鸟类,在恼怒痛苦之时,走近它是很危险的。
The caged eagle, whose gold-ringed eyes cruelty has extinguished, might look as looked that sightless Samson.
一只笼中的鹰,被残酷地割去了金色的双眼,看上去也许就像这位失明的参孙。
And, reader, do you think I feared him in his blind ferocity?
读者呀,你们认为,他那么又瞎又凶,我会怕他吗?
-- if you do, you little know me.
——要是你认为我怕,那你太不了解我了。
A soft hope blest with my sorrow that soon I should dare to drop a kiss on that brow of rock,
伴随着哀痛,我心头浮起了温存的希望,那就是很快就要胆大包天,吻一吻他岩石般的额头
and on those lips so sternly sealed beneath it: but not yet.
和额头下冷峻地封闭的眼睑。但时机未到,
I would not accost him yet.
我还不想招呼他呢。