Yusuf Ahmed has introduced us to a wild world of strange alien, second conditional structures.
优素福·艾哈迈德向我们介绍了一个充满奇怪的外星人和第二条件结构的狂野世界。
Watch my wild interview with him after the break.
稍后请收看我对他进行的疯狂采访。
Mini English Lessons
迷你英语课
You might think you know everything there is to know about the second conditional.
你可能认为你知道关于第二条件句的一切。
If I had a time machine, I'd go to the year 3024.
如果我有一台时间机器,我会去3024年。
If I had a spaceship, I'd explore a distant planet.
如果我有一艘宇宙飞船,我会去探索一颗遥远的行星。
You know, if plus the past simple and would plus the infinitive.
你知道的,就是if加上一般过去时,would加上动词原形。
But watch this wild interview with Yusuf Ahmed.
但是请看对优素福·艾哈迈德的疯狂采访。
He's going to show you three alternatives.
他将向你展示三个不同的结构。
It's the second conditional as you've never seen it before.
这是你前所未见的第二条件句。
The one, the only, Yusuf Ahmed.
独一无二的尤素福·艾哈迈德。
You've just finished work on Silent Planet.
你刚刚完成了《寂静星球》的工作。
In that film, you wake up one thousand years in the future.
在那部电影中,你在一千年后的未来醒来。
You're the only man alive. It's taken the world by storm.
你是唯一活着的人。这部电影席卷了整个世界。
But tell me, Yusuf, what would you do if you woke up one thousand years in the future and you were the only man alive?
但是告诉我,优素福,如果你在一千年后醒来,发现自己是唯一活着的人,你会怎么做?
Well, if it were me, I would be searching high and low for any signs of intelligent life.
嗯,如果是我,我会到处寻找任何智慧生命的迹象。
You see, my character gives up, but I wouldn't.
我的角色放弃了寻找,但我不会。
What places would you want to explore?
你想去探索哪些地方?
Oh, my hometown.
哦,我的家乡。
If it hadn't been destroyed, I'd stay days, months, even years there.
如果家乡没有被摧毁,我会在那里待上几天,几个月,甚至几年。
Eventually you find a city full of strange alien beings.
最终,你发现了一个充满奇怪外星生物的城市。
Would you stick around with them?
你会和它们待在一起吗?
If they were fighting wars and destroying the planet, I think I'd move on.
如果它们正在打仗并破坏地球,我想我会离开。
But if they had found a way to live in harmony, I think I might stick around for a while.
但是如果它们找到了一种和谐共处的方式,我想我可能会在这里停留一段时间。
Did you hear those wild conditionals?
你听到那些疯狂的条件句了吗?
First, he says, if it were me, I'd be searching high and low for any signs of life.
首先他说,如果是我,我会到处寻找生命的迹象。
Okay. If plus past simple. Great. Great.
也就是if加上一般过去时。可以,没错。
But would plus be plus -ing? It's wild!
但后面是would加be加-ing动词?太疯狂了!
You see, Yusuf wants to show that this is an ongoing activity with no clear beginning or end, and the -ing form is perfect for this.
优素福想表明这是一项正在进行的活动,没有明确的开始或结束,-ing形式非常适合这种情况。
He also uses the past continuous in the if clause.
他在if从句中也使用了过去进行时。
He says, if they were fighting wars and destroying the planet, I'd move on.
他说,如果它们正在打仗并破坏地球,我想我会离开。
Again, he wants to show that these are ongoing activities with no clear beginning or end, and the past continuous is ideal for that.
同样,他想表明这些是正在进行的活动,没有明确的开始或结束,过去进行时非常适合这种情况。
And here's another shocker.
还有一个令人震惊的结构。
He uses the past perfect in the if clause.
他在if从句中使用了过去完成时。
He says, if it hadn't been destroyed, I'd stay there for days, months, or even years.
他说,如果家乡没有被摧毁,我会在那里待上几天,几个月,甚至几年。
In his imagination, Yusuf is in the future.
在优素福的想象中,他身处未来。
And if his house has not been destroyed, he will stay there for days, months, or years.
如果他的家没有被摧毁,他会在那里待上几天、几个月或几年。
'But why the past perfect?' I hear you say.
“但是为什么用过去完成时呢?”我听到你说。
Well, it's because when we're talking about unreal or imaginary situations, often we shift the tense back.
这是因为当我们谈论不真实或想象的情况时,我们经常会把时态往后移。
So the present perfect becomes the past perfect.
所以现在完成时就变成了过去完成时。
And he does it again because he says, if they had found a way to live in harmony, I'd stick around for a while, I think.
然后他又这么说了:如果它们找到了一种和谐共处的方式,我想我可能会在这里停留一段时间。
In his imagination, he is in the future.
在他的想象中,他身处未来。
And if these strange beings have found a way to solve things like war and pollution, well, you'll stick around.
如果这些奇怪的生物已经找到了解决战争和污染等问题的办法,那么你就会留下来。
So, back to you, interviewer.
那么,回到你这里,采访人。
Well, now it's time for you to boldly go where few have gone before.
现在是你勇敢地去探索前人未至之地的时候了。
Share your stories in the chat.
请在聊天中分享你的故事。
Answer the questions.
回答下面这个问题。
If you woke up one thousand years in the future and you were the last person alive, what would you do?
如果你在一千年后醒来,而且是最后一个活着的人,你会怎么做?
What places would you want to explore?
你想去探索哪些地方?
If you found a city full of strange alien beings, would you stick around?
如果你发现一个城市充满了奇怪的外星生物,你会留下来吗?
Put your answers in the chat.
请把你的答案放在评论区中。
Let your imagination run wild.
让你的想象力尽情驰骋。