Woman: Same thing here. I can't get anybody on the phone, either. The phone seems to be dead.
女人:这儿也是。电话打不通,好像是坏了。
First Voice: Electricity's off.
第一个声音:停电了。
Second Voice: Phone won't work.
第二个声音:电话不通了。
Third Voice: Can't get a thing on the radio.
第三个声音:收音机一个台也收不到。
Fourth voice: My power mower won't move, won't work at all.
第四个声音:我的电动割草机不动了,完全不转了。
(PETE VAN HORN, a tall thin man, is seen standing in front of his house.)
(皮特·范·霍恩,一个又高又瘦的男人,站在他的房前。)
Van Horn: I'll cut through the back yard... see if the power's still on on Cherry Street. I'll be right back.
范?霍恩:我从后院抄近路……去樱桃街看看那里是否有电。我一会儿就回来。
Steve: Doesn't make sense. Why should the power and the phone line go off all of a sudden?
史蒂夫:真是奇怪。怎么会突然停电,连电话也不通了呢?
Don: Maybe it's an electrical storm or something.
唐:也许是雷暴或其他什么原因吧。
Charlie: That doesn't seem likely. Sky's just as blue as anything. Not a cloud. No lightning. How could it be a storm?
查理:不大可能吧。天空蓝汪汪的,连一片云都没有。更别说闪电了,什么都没有。怎么可能是雷暴呢?
Woman: I can't get a thing on the radio. Not even the portable.
女人:收音机一个台都收不到。甚至连手提收音机也一样。
Charlie: Well, why don't you go downtown and check with the police, though they'll probably think we're crazy or something. A little failure and right away we get all excited.
查理:那你为什么不到镇上去问问警察呢?不过,他们也许会认为我们是疯了或是怎么了。不过是一个小小的停电,我们就大惊小怪的。
Steve: It isn't just the power failure, Charlie. If it was, we'd still be able to get a broadcast on the portable.
史蒂夫:这可不是简单的停电,查理。如果是的话,我们还是可以用手提收音机收听到广播的。
(There's a murmur of reaction to this. STEVE walks over to his car.)
(听到这,人们议论纷纷。史蒂夫走向他的汽车。)
Steve: I'll run downtown. We'll get this all straightened out. (STEVE gets into his car, turns the key. The engine is dead. He then gets out of the car.)
史蒂夫:我去一趟镇上。我们会让一切恢复正常的。(史蒂夫钻进车里,转了一下车钥匙。发动机却没有任何反应。他又从车里钻出来。)
Steve: I don't understand it. It was working fine before—
史蒂夫:怎么回事?以前都是好好的——
Don: Out of gas?
唐:没油了吧?
Steve: (shakes his head) I just had it filled up.
史蒂夫:(摇头)我刚给车加满油。