Woman: What does it mean?
女人:那是怎么回事?
Charlie: It's just as if... as if everything had stopped. (Then he turns toward STEVE.) We'd better walk downtown.
查理:好像……好像所有的东西都停止了。(然后他转向史蒂夫)我们最好走到镇上去问一下。
Steve: OK, Charlie. (He turns to look back at the car.) It couldn't be the meteor. A meteor couldn't do this.
史蒂夫:好吧,查理。(他转过身看了看汽车。)不太可能是流黾。流星可搞不出这种事来。
(He and CHARLIE exchange a look. Then they start to walk away from the group. TOMMY, a serious-faced young boy tries to stop them.)
(他和查理交换了一个眼神。然后他们就从人群中走了出去。汤米,一个表情严肃的男孩子,试图阻止他们。)
Tommy: Mr. Brand,... you'd better not!
汤米:布兰德先生……你们最好别去!
Steve: Why not?
史蒂夫:为什么别去?
Tommy: They don't want you to.
汤米:他们不想让你们去。
(STEVE and CHARLIE exchange a grin. Steve looks back toward the boy.)
(史蒂夫和查理对对方笑了一下。史蒂夫回头看着小男孩。)
Steve: Who doesn't want us to?
史蒂夫:谁不想让我们去?
Tommy: (jerks his head in the general direction of the distant horizon) Them!
汤米:(扭头示意遥远的地平线)他们!
Steve: Them?
史蒂夫:他们?
Charlie: Who are Them?
查理:他们是谁?
Tommy: (very intently) Whoever was in that thing that came by overhead. I don't think they want us to leave here.
汤米:(非常认真地)就是刚才从我们头上飞过去的那个东西里的人。我想他们不希望我们离开。
(STEVE walks over to the boy. He kneels down in front of him. He forces his voice to remain gentle. He reaches out and holds the boy.)
(史蒂夫走近男孩,在他面前跪下来。他尽力使自己的声音保持温和。他伸出手抓住男孩儿。)
Steve: What do you mean? What are you talking about?
史蒂夫:你是什么意思?你在说什么?
Tommy: They don't want us to leave. That's why they shut everything off.
汤米:他们不想让我们离开,所以他们才关掉了所有的东西。
Steve: What makes you say that? Whatever gave you that idea?
史蒂夫:你凭什么这么说?为什么你会这样想?
Woman: Now isn't that the craziest thing you ever heard?
女人:(声音从人群中传来)这难道不是你们所听说过的最离奇的一件事吗?
Tommy: (persistently) It's always that way, in every story I ever read about a ship landing from outer space.
汤米:(坚决地)就是这样的,我读过的所有关于降落到地球上的外太空飞船的故事都是这样的。
Woman: (to the boy's mother, SALLY) From outer space yet! Sally, you'd better get that boy of yours up to bed. He's been reading too many comic books or seeing too many movies or something!
女人:(冲着男孩儿的妈妈萨莉)还来自外太空呢!萨莉,你还是让你的宝贝儿子上床睡觉去吧。他一定是连环画看多了,要不就是电影什么的看多了!